We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Product in exchange for charity donation
Hi
I entered a mini competition whereby I received an object in return for a set donation and that money was paid directly to the person's chosen charity (a well known one).
For self assessment purposes as a sole trader, does that still count as a charity donation?
Thanks
Comments
-
If I take goods to a charity shop, and state I am a taxpayer, the charity shop writes to me when the goods are sold. At that point I can ask for the proceeds or donate them to the charity, and if I give the proceeds to the charity, the charity claims gift aid and I claim higher rate tax relief, if eligible.
When a customer buys those goods from a charity, that is not a donation, unless they pay over the market value, for example in a charity auction, when the excess over market value does count as a donation.
If you are buying items that are for use in your business, you should claim the market value as a deduction, and gift aid the excess over market value, which is not allowable as a trading expense.
0 -
If I take goods to a charity shop, and state I am a taxpayer, the charity shop writes to me when the goods are sold.
Does that actually happen in practice? The shop would have to be well organised with their administration to be able to do that.
0 -
Do you want to claim gift aid relief as a higher rate taxpayer
Or deduct it from your trading income as an business expense?
0 -
My local shop got me to complete a gift aid form and notified me how much they claimed once the item was sold.
0 -
it does if you gift aid.
I always get a letter telling me what my donations have raised.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.0 -
So my carrier bag of Dan Brown's finest work and old DVDs I leave outside Oxfam is actually tax deductible?
1 -
Yes.
If you gift aid the donation, the shop has to have good records.
No.
Stuff left outside while the shop is closed is fly tipping. Anything good gets taken before the shop is open. The remainder gets ruined by the weather, foxes, squirrels, pigeons and such like. The store staff (often volunteers) just get to clear up the mess and the store gets charged for the waste disposal. The worst possible outcome for the charity and disrespectful to their staff
You can only claim tax deduction if properly donated and the paperwork declaration signed. The tax effect is to widen your basic rate band.
1 -
How Woukd the charity confirm what amount they have claimed in gift aid without proof of who left them and that person having signed a gift aid declaration?
0 -
Yes, if you register with them, they give you a number that you quote when you take goods in. Otherwise you can't claim higher rate relief because the gift is measured by the proceeds the shop receives.
0 -
Yes that makes sense, but some of the posts above seem to indicate that if you register your donation for gift aid, the shop will inform you how much the goods sold for and what gift aid has been claimed anyway - not related to claiming higher rate relief.
Just seems a lot of admin for the shop, and I am not convinced some of them would be that organised- especially where clothes donations are concerned - often the backs of these shops are piled high with clothes.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


