We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Remortgage

2»

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    But some lenders require it to be done so many days in advance. For example, nationwide need it to be done by around the 20th of the month - 10-11 days in advance.

    The poster has mentioned solicitors, which suggests they are switching lenders.

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,489 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    I never said anything about lending more?

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,489 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Yes it was in reference to the person who said staying with your current lender takes three weeks. I was merely saying this isnt neccersarily the case.

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    Thats not what I said at all.

    I said 3 weeks is usually enough time to switch products with your current lender. Some lenders can do it instantly, some need it done by a certain date in order for it to take effect in the following month - I gave the example of nationwide who need about 10 days.

    We have access to over 80 lenders, I do not know all of their timescales so would not want to sit here and say 21 days is definitely enough for them all. I imagine it is, but there could be an exception.

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 3,720 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    At a minimum conveyancing takes 6 weeks, usually 2 to 3 months. Not 2 weeks.

    One of the reasons an existing lender offers product transfers 3 months plus in advance

  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 2,993 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yes but how long does it actually take?

    The fact that in the days of increased technology and instantaneous communications we allow a system response time to drift out to 8-10 weeks shows how progress is not occurring.

    It really is quite woeful and where is the ambition to improve it?

    Your life is too short to be unhappy 5 days a week in exchange for 2 days of freedom!

    One can always make more money. No one who has ever lived can create more time.
  • luckybert
    luckybert Posts: 979 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Just an update on this, soon approaching my second month of being put on the variable rate, plus solicitor fees as they need to serve a notice to my landlord for change of lender (I'm a flat owner), plus they queried my witness who signed my mortgage deed and now there is a query to do with the registration. Looking at being £400 out of pocket.

    Something to be said for sticking with your existing lender and being on a deal they offer!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.