We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

PG called in and made me bankrupt, is it irresponsible lending?

Hi Everyone, I am looking for some help. My company entered into voluntary liquidation in January 2025. We had several business loans, and an overdraft, totalling around £160k. One of our creditors actually made me personally bankrupt because I sign a trade agreement account with them in 2020 and totally didn't know it was a PG. The loans and overdraft, I understood at the time that myself and partner were PG's. My question is really, can I complain to the FCA about the lenders as in my opinion, there would have been no way we could have paid these loans and the overdraft back personally, so I do not think the correct checks were done at the time of us (stupidly I might add) applying for these loans to try and keep our business afloat.

Comments

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,221 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    FCA do not take customer complaints other than if you believe someone is selling financial products without being licensed to do so.

    Did you read the agreements before signing them? How did you miss the personal guarantee part? Generally the credit checks will be against the company, the personal guarantee is just an added level of security for the lender.

    Did you declare the business' financial distress when applying for the loans or did you try and claim that things were rosy and the loans were for expansion etc rather than to try and keep it afloat?

    The Financial Ombudsman is the mechanism for complaints, but first you need to register your complaint with the company and receive their response (or 8 weeks pass, whichever is sooner). I honestly dont know how the FOS reacts to directors logging a complaint for themselves when the company was the debtor. It would be worth your time checking the Financial Ombudsman website as they post all cases that go to the upper tier for adjudication. A quick look doesnt look to favourable for you, eg https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/decision/DRN3389669.pdf

  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 5,724 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    As alluded to by @MyRealNameToo it is more than likely that you agreed to this on the documentation so, when you complain, all they will do is produce a copy with your signature.

  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,091 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier

    I'd run this past Business Debtline

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,092 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    . One of our creditors actually made me personally bankrupt because I sign a trade agreement account with them in 2020 and totally didn't know it was a PG

    If it was just for a credit facility on company purchases. Then as a B2B agreement, it would have been down to you to fully read & understand the contract.

    So you would be best digging out the contract to check exactly what was signed for & if it was a regulated product.

    Do not think as such this would fall under FCA/FOS register, as they are not providing a loan.

    B2B Lending Exemptions

    The good news is that B2B lending is generally exempt from FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) authorization. This means that businesses that extend credit exclusively to other businesses usually don't need FCA authorization.

    Life in the slow lane
  • Hi everyone, and yes I was aware I was signing up to the PG's, but I was under the understanding that I would be credit checked as well, and this would have clearly shown the massive borrowing would it not?

  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,354 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Was the company limited, sole trader or partnership?

  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 5,724 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Sorry, perhaps we were stating the obvious. And yes, it should have flagged your current level of borrowing - which raises the question, if you were in that deep why agree to the guarantee?

    In respect of affordability it is likely that the lender would have looked at the business and your personal circumstances when they made their decision.

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,401 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    "One of our creditors actually made me personally bankrupt because I sign a trade agreement account with them in 2020 and totally didn't know it was a PG"

    Was the business a limited company/ sole trader/ partnership? If unsure, then look how hmrc treated it.

    If a company then when you signed the agreement, were you signing as the director of the company or as an individual? Was this clear in the paperwork?

    If the business was 'you trading as X' then the trade accountant would have been you and you would be liable.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • MasterG83
    MasterG83 Posts: 813 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert. Please complete an SOA if you are looking for debt advice. Link here - https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Baby Step 6/7 . £20000 + saved and invested. £47,000 deposit paid on new home CONSUMER DEBT FREE !!!
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.