We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Should I overpay?
I’ve got just under 1 year left of a 1.9% mortgage with £347k remaining. We’ve had a loft conversion on the property to add an extra bedroom and bathroom as well as bought share of freehold (vs leasehold when I bought), so feel confident the property should increase in value since purchase and hopefully improve the loan to value rate when I remortgage.
Question is should I focus on overpaying this final year (as someone who isn’t very good as saving money!) to try and make a dent in the loan to value as much as possible to help remortgaging?
Thanks!
Comments
-
At that rate you'd be better off putting the money into a savings account that earns 4%+. Then use it when doing tbe remortgage.
WWe've used a Coventry building society limited access saver to do ours.
1 -
Depending on how much you can overpay without penalty, with a 1.9% rate on your mortgage and 4%+ available on savings you may well be better putting your overpayments into a savings account/isa and then looking again just before your deal runs out.
1 -
If you know you can't save money, def overpay your mortgage.
No point talking about how saving and paying a lumpsum is great, when it doesn't work for you.
I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)0 -
If you're not very disciplined about saving each month, perhaps set up a standing order from your main account to a savings account? That way, it can go out of your account before you really notice it?
0 -
If you do this, I'd also suggest it goes to an account with a different institution to your main accounts so you don't "see" the savings when you log in.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
