We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Can't find Mortgage options for separating couples
Hi formum peeps,
I have a house with no mortgage, and have separated from my wife.
I am looking at mortgage options for a property for me to live in, and don't see I would be classed as a first time buyer.
I don't know what products i should be looking at or what the implications are.
I do not want to sell the existing house as my wife and adult children live there and they need a home (it's amicable right now!).
Appreciate any advice, or information from anyone with experience of this..
Comments
-
You're effectively considered as remortgaging but anyway, speak to a decent mortgage broker and they'll give you the options and deal with this kind of stuff for you.
1 -
Certainly not a 1st time buyer if you have ever had a mortgage.
Life in the slow lane1 -
What can you afford on your own salary? You might be stymied by your age and lack of substantial deposit
Whilst it is admirable that you do not want to put your wife and adult children out of their home it would be preferable to divorce and seek a financial order detailing home value, sharing of savings pensions etc,
Your children should be making their own way in life at some point and a large family home with associated upkeep and bills might be more than your wife will be able to manage.
1 -
It would just be a remortgage.
Pretty much everything should be available to you - bar first time buyer mortgages - assuming age, income etc stacks up.
I am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards