We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

ok to live in my own BTL?

I have now paid off my residential mortgage. I have a BTL that I'd like to live in - now that there is no residential mortgage to my name, am I ok to move into the BTL, and rent out my mortgage free place?

I'm in yr 3 of a 5yr Kent Reliance BTL mortgage - what options do I have? Could I get them to change the BTL to a residential, lower the interest rate (5.75% at the moment) it? Nice to get any tips before I start to ring lenders…

Thank you in advance

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    The terms would normally prevent it.

    If you want to switch mortgage you will probably have ERCs even if you remain with them.

    I dont think you can, but maybe see if it could be ported to the other property? But I think your options are going to be pay the ERCs, wait to move in or move in and risk them finding out and doing whatever they decide to do.

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,650 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    A great broker could save you a lot of leg work and get you the right outcome really easily.

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,416 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    You can ask them, given you have repaid the other mortgage, they may decide you have sufficient income to afford it on a residential mortgage. Technically you aren’t redeeming the mortgage but asking to have one of the terms removed. They may agree.

    —What happens if you do move in without their permission or consent? Probably very little, I’ve never heard of a lender going to court to gain possession where repayments have been made. You are breaching conditions, they could ask you to move out or to redeem your mortgage.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.