We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Is it possible to see what you could've earned pre-tax code change?
BR-tax payer before we kick off.
So approx 75% in to the tax year my code gets changed due to unpaid tax on interest earned.
I was 12.x.L whatever the x number is. I've been changed to 10.x.XL I think the code is. I'd need to check a payslip but I don't imagine it matters for the question as the point is the same.
So obviously when I get my payslip, the net figure is lower than it would've been had I earned under £1k in interest & not over it.
I'm curious what my net figure would've been in these months - to see how much this tax on interest is actually costing me.
Is there some kind of formula or calculator that easily does it or do you need to start pulling information from 1001 different areas & it's a long drawn out affair?
🤐🤐🤐
Comments
-
Can you use an online calculator with and without the interest?
0 -
Had a Google & not quite sure tbh.
I was thinking on the lines of
Marc's pay = £XYZ gross.
The pension contribs are the minimum from both parties.
Put in tax code A = £net
Put in tax code B = £net
Difference is what the interest has cost me.
Or is that not a possible way to do it?
No sarcasm. I just don't know.
🤐🤐🤐
0 -
If you are interested in what it is actually costing you then, based on what you've posted, simply multiply the difference between your old tax code allowance and new tax code allowances by 20% (using 9 as the final digit to mimick what payroll software does).
For example 12579 less 10829 = £1,750
£1,750 x 20% = £350
Then divide that answer by 12 if you want to know how much that is per month.
£350 ÷ 12 = £29.16
0 -
So 12630 - 10340 = 2290
Next line £458
/12 = £38.17
If I've done that correct based on tax codes 1263 & 1034
🤐🤐🤐
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards