We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Scared and unsure

2»

Comments

  • stanger66
    stanger66 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts

    Thank you I think the worse one is 02 with there threats 😂

  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,948 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    edited 13 March at 11:25AM

    Any and all consumer credit debts will vest in your bankruptcy, only a select few types of debt are excluded.

    A lot of bank staff are unaware of bankruptcy legislation, so will write silly letters such as the ones you received.

    Your bankruptcy gives you protection from any further collection activity or enforcement action by your creditors, so they have no choice but to comply.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • stanger66
    stanger66 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts

    as always thank you feel loads better

  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 37,009 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Remember, most communication is automatically generated by computers, no humans involved in individual cases. Until a human tells the computer to stop sending them, autogenerated stuff will continued.

    Given how many months it takes for many creditors take action, just ignore letters unless they are daft enough to send a letter before action, when you need to send them your bankruptcy number and date.

    If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing
  • I went through bankruptcy and my final IPA payment is on Friday - I was discharged after 15 months and the final IPA payment (3 years) is nearly done. It was a very scary time, I felt embarrassed and foolish, but it needed to be done. HUGE lessons learnt and I am so glad my best friend persisted and helped me through the process. I'm newly married (nearly a year with my lovely 2nd husband) and he is fully aware of it all. The worst thing is the shame (well it was for me), so being able to tell Craig and not be judged helped massively. I wish you all the best for the future.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.