We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Tax Code

0161a
0161a Posts: 44
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite

I am retiring in June 2026. Currently, I work part-time. I also have my state pension. and a small private pension that I receive once a month, it's taxed at source at basic rate.

I pay tax on my part-time earnings, and the tax code for that is 66L

Should my private pension be taxed at basic rate ?

Also, when I retire in June, will I receive a tax rebate?

Comments

  • maman
    maman Posts: 30,878
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Not enough information to answer definitively, it will depend on how much your private pension pays when added to your state pension. 🤔

  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,508
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You are unlikely to be due a tax rebate from HMRC.

    But if from June you will only have the small private pension and your State Pension, its likely that your main tax code (66L) can be moved to your small private pension and you will start paying less tax on that pension.

    That assumes you won't have a new pension starting this year.

  • LITRG
    LITRG Posts: 218
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Organisation Representative

    Hi 0161a. You may find the following guidance pages of our website useful.

    PAYE codes | Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (this links to the change in circumstances section.)

    Tax on pension income | Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

    Hope this helps!

    “Official Company Representative
    I am an official representative of LITRG (Low Incomes Tax Reform Group) part of the Chartered Institute of Taxation who are an educational charity. We are not part of MSE or HMRC. MSE has given permission for me to post on the Forum but this does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation or its products by MSE. We can’t give individual advice, but if you require further help, we recommend that you contact a tax adviser, HMRC or one of the tax charities where relevant. You can find more information about where to get help with tax here. If you believe I am posting inappropriately please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,691
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    How much is your state pension at the moment ? Usually paid four weekly.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.