We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Self-employed & taking a break from work - do I tell HMRC?

CoyKarp
CoyKarp Posts: 29
10 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 24 February at 2:47PM in Cutting tax

Hi all

I cannot find a definitive answer to this in google, so I thought this forum might help. (No idea which category to use, sorry, so I used the closest one.)

I am 59 and a self-employed sole trader. Due to health and other reasons, I slowed down my work last year and have not worked at all since October 2025. Living on savings.

I am unsure when I am returning to work, whether this year or next. I am not stopping work for good though, so do I need to tell HMRC? If so, at what point?

I had not though this was an issue until today when I was working out how much to put in my SIPP before 5th April and some opinions came up in searches.

Thanks very much.

Comments

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.