We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Simple? income tax circumstances
I thought I'd try to get an idea about how much tax I'll have to pay this year (2025/6). So I asked three AIs and got three wildly different answers, none of which seemed correct. I have only three income streams: £12k pension income, £18k dividends and £20k interest. (The numbers are rounded up, not least because the year's not out though I have a very good idea what to expect.)
I think I'll have to pay nothing for the pension because of PA. I get £570+£1000+£5000 off the interest, makes £13430*20% = £2686. I get £500 off the divs, makes £17500*8.75% = £1531. Does that make sense?
Comments
-
Your calculations look right. I confirmed them with HMRC's own calculator. nb: this version doesn't calculate the tax on the pension but, as you say, that will be zero because it ius below the PA.
0 -
Thanks a lot! And another thanks for that link to the HMRC calculator… I'd actually googled for this and found a few online calculators (not this one though) but most would not accept dividends.
0 -
They don't make that calculator easy to find! There is a list of HMRC calculators at but it doesn't mention that one. I found it a while back by googling "income tax calculator hmrc dividends"
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards