We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Marriage Tax Allowance Eligibility Change?

20vt-rs
20vt-rs Posts: 741
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
Forumite

I’m married and have taken my wife’s portion of tax allowance for this for the past 4-5 years. When it was set up, my wife earned under the 20% threshold, and I am a 20% tax bracket earner.

However this year things have changed, due to fiscal drag my wife is now approx £2k over the threshold and now pays 20% tax. Additionally, I’ve just been made redundant and the pay-off has tipped me into the 40% bracket for this tax year.

Do I need to do anything to give this allowance back to my wife, as we are no longer eligible. Or will the tax office pick up on this and adjust things accordingly?

My understanding on eligibility is that one should be non tax paying, and the other 20% bracket.

Input appreciated, thanks!

Mortgage Free Wannabe Light Bulb Moment (Early 2012, started May 2012)
Original Mortgage Amount - £147k (Oct 2005) / Term 27 years (To 2032)
Target to Pay off by 2026 by overpaying - Officially Mortgage Free June 2023!
Balance Reduction Progress: May12 £128k / Nov13 £120k / Dec15 £107k / Mar18 £87k / Mar21 £46k / Jun22 £28k / Jun23 £0!!

«1

Comments

  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 7,267
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Not heard that HMRC automatically cancel it, best you do it yourself before the end of the tax year.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    She should contact them to reclaim it, and, depending on your job prospects, it might be worth you transferring yours to her.

    https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance/if-your-circumstances-change

  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,508
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    They will automatically cancel it once you are identified as an actual higher rate taxpayer.

    This only happens after the end of the tax year though so you could end up owing tax for the current tax year (often ~£500 in relation to Marriage Allowance) whilst your wife gets a refund once she receives her full Personal Allowance back (typically ~£250 in relation to Marriage Allowance).

  • 20vt-rs
    20vt-rs Posts: 741
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thanks all, interesting feedback and good for thought. I might give them a call to talk through, as I want to make sure it’s right. It sounds like even going into 40% later in the tax year, might wipe the benefit of having this for the whole tax year, not just at the point of going into the next band.

    Mortgage Free Wannabe Light Bulb Moment (Early 2012, started May 2012)
    Original Mortgage Amount - £147k (Oct 2005) / Term 27 years (To 2032)
    Target to Pay off by 2026 by overpaying - Officially Mortgage Free June 2023!
    Balance Reduction Progress: May12 £128k / Nov13 £120k / Dec15 £107k / Mar18 £87k / Mar21 £46k / Jun22 £28k / Jun23 £0!!

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,326
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite

    yes, eligibility is based on your annual income and the allowance applies for the year or not at all.
    it is not apportioned.

  • 20vt-rs
    20vt-rs Posts: 741
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thanks for the info and to @sheramber for clarifying the last question…

    It probably makes no difference now or later then if we revert it back to my wife having her allowance, the system will work it all out after the end of tax year regardless. I think unfortunately it looks like I may be in for an element of underpaid tax coming my way 🙁

    Mortgage Free Wannabe Light Bulb Moment (Early 2012, started May 2012)
    Original Mortgage Amount - £147k (Oct 2005) / Term 27 years (To 2032)
    Target to Pay off by 2026 by overpaying - Officially Mortgage Free June 2023!
    Balance Reduction Progress: May12 £128k / Nov13 £120k / Dec15 £107k / Mar18 £87k / Mar21 £46k / Jun22 £28k / Jun23 £0!!

  • I'm riding on the back of this thread because I have a similar query. My husband's been getting the married tax allowance from me for a number of years because I've worked part time and have never reached the tax threshold.However, I started receiving my state pension in December, which, along with around £4k from a workplace pension takes my income to around the £16k-£17k mark. His income is still higher than mine as his workplace pension (which he already pays some tax on) is more than mine. I'm assuming this means that I now have to take back that tax allowance from him and that I need to do this pro-actively? I would have thought HMRC would do this automatically, but it seems not, from previous replies. Also, HMRC contacted me yesterday setting out my 26/27 estimated allowance. They mentioned MTA but said nothing about changing it back. Am I correct?

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    You don't need to change it, and neither do HMRC, but you can choose to do so - if you leave it as is then the two of you still ultimately pay the same amount of tax collectively, so it serves no purpose, but it's only if one becomes a higher rate payer that it's no longer an option.

  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,508
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 17 February at 7:15PM

    From what you have posted you are both still eligible. Whilst both alive and married it's only if one of you becomes a higher rate taxpayer that you would become ineligible.

    But given your income now you may prefer to cancel it now (before 6 April 2026) and have the standard Personal Allowance again.

  • Thank you. I've already mentioned to him changing it back. Makes sense to change it back for me, a) because I've already told him it's a possibility (and it's all too easy to confuse him, money wise), and b) it'll only make a difference of -£21 a month to him, which he can afford more than I can - I'm more likely to save it!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.