We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Help with battery choice
I have read extensively around the subject of renewables, and learnt a lot from this forum as well as countless YT videos over the last couple of years. I’ve probably spent way too much time thinking about this and need help to finally come to a decision on which battery (and panels) are the right choice, when considering ethics, installer and battery. Keen to get real world insight from Givenergy, Sigenergy, Huawei and Tesla battery owners.
I should add we have 2 electric cars and need back up as we are rural and get power cuts.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Comments
-
It's no surprise that Sigenergy is so popular with the lower tier of installer - the company has next to zero quality standards when selecting who offers their product (lots of Cowboy outfits) unlike Tesla, which requires company level certification, including solvency checks, RECC etc.
Whereabouts are you located?- 10 x 400w LG Bifacial + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial + 2 x 570W SHARP Bifacial + 5kW SolarEdge Inverter + SolarEdge Optimizers. SE London.
- Triple aspect: ENE (2.7 kWp), WSW (3.3 kWp), SSE (2.4 kWp)
- Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (The most efficient gas boiler sold)Feel free to DM me for help with any form of energy saving! Happy to help!0 -
Thanks, I’m in the South West
0 -
In my experience, once an installer has become Tesla certified, they tend to install little else, probably because there is enough demand to sustain that. My local installer (relatively small installer) was holding significant stock of PW3's to ensure they were able to keep up with demand so must have good confidence in the product.
Sigenergy systems seem particularly popular with installers because they are modular and therefore easy to physically install without any additional heavy lifting equipment (the Tesla PW3 trolley lift is quite expensive). On paper they stack up well (no pun intended) against the Tesla Powerwall, but they do not have the 10 year product history and 1 million unit installation base that Tesla has behind it. I must admit I do like the look of the Sigenergy offering, and would be happy to consider it from a trusted local installer prepared to back up the product (given it's lack of history)
The Tesla PW3 met my needs perfectly, ticking all boxes, so it was pretty much a no-brainer and I was very happy with the attention to detail and high quality of installation from my trusted local installer (with a 15 year plus history).
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.1 -
If I was buying again, I'd look for something modular so that additional capacity could be added cheaply. Our GE all in one doesn't last all day since we installed tha ashp but adding a second aio is prohibitively expensive. No problems with our battery but GE get a slagging in forums etc.
4.7kwp PV split equally N and S 20° 2016.Givenergy AIO (2024)Seat Mii electric (2021). MG4 Trophy (2024).1.2kw Ripple Kirk Hill. 0.6kw Derril Water.Vaillant aroTHERM plus 5kW ASHP (2025)Gas supply capped (2025)2 -
Re: Sigenergy, you're alot braver than I am
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/sigenergys-terminal-problem-burnt-plugs-throttled-invertersOne other thing most end users are unaware of is that Sigenrgy battery inverters use internal DC optimizers - all is well while they are running fine but should they fail, accessing them is another matter.
- 10 x 400w LG Bifacial + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial + 2 x 570W SHARP Bifacial + 5kW SolarEdge Inverter + SolarEdge Optimizers. SE London.
- Triple aspect: ENE (2.7 kWp), WSW (3.3 kWp), SSE (2.4 kWp)
- Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (The most efficient gas boiler sold)Feel free to DM me for help with any form of energy saving! Happy to help!2 -
Thank you NedS, thevilla and screwdriva for your input, lots to think about.
I have now contacted a couple of local installers and will get together some quotes for different battery options then go from there.2 -
You mentioned Huawei. We have their inverter and battery which we are very happy with and their forums aren't full of complaints, unlike some alternatives. I would understand why you might not choose this Chinese brand for political reasons, but equally, similar reasons might apply to Tesla .
6.4kWp (16 * 400Wp REC Alpha) facing ESE + 5kW Huawei inverter + 10kWh Huawei battery. Vaillant Arotherm Pro 7kW heat pump.1 -
Good to know you are happy with Huawei. I think I’m trying to find a balance between ethical, quality/reliability and price. Its a bit of a minefield!
1 -
did you make a decision?
4.3kwp JA panels, Huawei 3.68kw Hybrid inverter, Huawei 10kw Lunar 2000 battery, Myenergi eddi, South facing array with a 15 degree roof pitch, winter shade.0 -
I did, I’ve gone for Powerwall 3 and another 5kWp of PV. Just waiting for some building work to complete and then install can happen. I’ll come back and update when it’s up and running - can’t wait😁
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

