We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Extortionate Remortgage Product fees

2»

Comments

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,425 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    edited 8 February at 12:21AM

    An SPV created for the purpose, backed with personal guarantee from the director/ owner should be ok.

    I think the sell and rent back would be an issue, particularly as you are letting via a company.

    Easiest way would be to put your tenant/ house sitter on a proper AST. Take a BTL mortgage on that property, use the cash generated as a deposit on the new purchase by loaning it to the new company as a director loan. Then get a BTL mortgage on the new property to be owned by the SPV.

    Accept that sale and rent back may not be possible, you need a legal opinion on whether you could do it. The lender may require that the mortgage starts before the tenancy.

    SPV=single purpose vehicle. A company set up for the sole purpose of buying and renting out properties. Its’ articles of association state this as the purpose along with the correct code for this area. 68209 is usually the code.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • joAnn
    joAnn Posts: 85 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Hi, This looks very much like the arrangement that has been discussed, with director loan and current house sitter being moved to AST. I am ok with the sale taking longer for the current owner to find a place, it was really a favour to him and doesn't need to be a formal arrangement, although I do appreciate if it's not formal it can cause issues. Maybe we could have a contract of sorts around the sale and moving out date.

    I really want to know if my current circumstances are so restrictive that I cannot go with a lender who has lower fees. If so, what can I do now to prepare myself for a better deal in a few months time.

    Thanks for all the feedback!

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    I dont think anyone can answer that.

    My initial thoughts are that no, I dont think you are that much of a complex case that you need those products. But the devil is in the detail and so I would not want to say your broker is wrong. But I think its too complicated to answer on the forums. You need someone to go through everything.

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.