We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Profit from First Mortgage to Second Mortgage

I've been in a mortgage for nearly nine years now, and I feel like - after all that time and building up all that equity - it won't even make a difference in the end.

Maybe I'm being naive, but surely if the value of homes have rised alongside the value of mine, it'll all be relative when I do eventually move. And that's if the equity actually gives me more to spend or simply gets me back to step one if the value of my home depletes by then…

Comments

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,478 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Do you have a question relating to energy?

  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,762 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    They've obviously made a mistake posting in the wrong forum. It's easily done.

  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 4,904 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 4 February at 10:54PM

    suspect you really wanted this in the Mortgage Remortgage section not energy

    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/mortgages-endowments

    You can either repost there and close this - or ask a forum operator via the report function asking them to move it

  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,127 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    I'm not sure of your question here but there are so many variables. No two house moves are ever the same.

    We are in the process of buying a bigger house now, moving up the ladder so to speak. As one stand alone example here are our figures and how our move stacks up.

    We bought our current house in 2019 for £210k with a 10% (£21k) deposit. (10% equity)

    The house is now SSTC for £250k and we have an outstanding mortgage balance of £120k. (52% equity)

    So in almost 7 years our equity has increased from £21k to £130k with £40k of that being an increase in house price and the remaining £69k being gained from mortgage repayments and overpayments.

    The house we are buying our offer is £402k and we are putting down a deposit of £97k (24% equity).

    We will start out in the new house with a higher percentage of equity when compared to value than we did with our current house.

  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    You seem to have grasped the futility in celebrating house price inflation. Yes, the next one is going to be proportionately more expensive.

    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    It is all relative. I always say it does not matter if my house is worth a pound or a million pounds.

    Arguably I would actually like house prices to drop on a personal level. If houses prices drop by 10%, as I want to buy a more expensive home, 10% would be numerically more and so would actually do me a favour.

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.