Help Alliance & Leicester

Options
I remember some time ago someone had a similar problem and I cant remember how they sorted it.

Before I went BR I opened an account with A&L (non charging account) and was later informed that it would get closed if I went BR. Opened a Co-Op Account when I went BR. When I went BR I gave all my cards and paperwork to the OR and kept checking the account on line to see if it was closed, Sure enough I was unable to access it after about 3 weeks.

Yesterday I receive my first bit of correspondance from A&L to tell me that my account was overdrawn by £160 and I must pay it up immediately, if the account was closed how do I owe money and how do I sort it out?

I tried ringing them but unless you have a phone pin you cant speak to anyone and the nearest branch is some distance from me and I will probably have to go in sometime next week.

Help would be greatly appreciated as I cannot afford this and as all BRs every penny counts and have been really careful with my money.
Went BR 25th May 2007 at 12.33, OR Interview now done. :eek: BSC No 88

Comments

• Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry I have no idea-my account with A&L hasn't been closed and I went BR in July-I went into the branch and was told there were no plans to close it and I could carry on using it if I wanted to.Why don't you give the OR a ring as he can probably sort this out?
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • G-G_4
    G-G_4 Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    Options
    Just write them a letter and kindly point out that you are bankrupt and are not going to be paying them. Enclose a copy of your bankruptcy order.

If the debt was incurred before you went bankrupt then it can be included in your bankruptcy and it would be illegal for you to pay them any money as per your bankruptcy terms. You will get in trouble for doing so as this is favouring a creditor.

If the debt was incurred after bankruptcy then you need to find out what it is for exactly, then speak to your OR and find out what they suggest.

I should think that is you tell the bank that you are now bankrupt they will leave you alone as it isn't a huge sum worthwhile chasing if they probably won't get it back.

Good luck & don't worry! x
    :D BSC Member 155 :cool:
  • squizz_2
    squizz_2 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    I totally agree with G-G, a few months after I went bankrupt I got a letter from the Inland Revenue (as was) to say I owed £2000!!!!! because an ex-employer had been filing incorrect details or something and this had led to me paying insufficient income tax - because it was incurred pre-bankruptcy it just went into the pot as another unpaid debt...phew.

Do not pay anything and they should have at least written to you if your account has been closed, how rude! Tell your receiver contact and if you want to look elsewhere, I found Nationwide very helpful (ironic but that's a whole 'nother story...)

Good luck

Squizz
    AF days in Feb 2010 - 2 :A
    No new toiletries challenge 2010 (no buying new stuff until existing stash runs out!)
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nationwide have now changed their policy ref BR's and it is not so easy to get an account with them, The odd one or two seem to slip through.

The only two banks who definatly will offer an account to a BR are Barclays and Co-op. See the sticky at the top of the front page.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills