We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
HMRC confusing wording...
Hi all,
Just looking for a bit of clarification on some HMRC wording (doing my tax Self Assessment). I'm a bit confused about the wording of the section on Capital Allowances (first year I have used this section). The section states:
"You can claim capital allowances for certain buildings and the purchase and improvements to equipment and machinery such as vehicles, tools, computers and business furniture used in your business."
But then later on it says:
"If you use cash basis, you can only claim capital allowances for the cost of buying cars. If you've previously claimed capital allowance for a car used in your business, you may continue to claim the allowance as a writing down allowance."
The wording of this suggests that if I am using the Cash Basis method (which I am) then I can only claim capital allowances for Cars (i.e. not for any other items like Tools). Am I correct in assuming that this is just bad grammar? Does it actually mean "if you've previously claimed capital allowance for a car used in your business please note that if you use cash basis you can only claim capital allowances for the cost of buying cars" (as opposed to leasing them maybe…)? 🤔
There are other precedents of bad grammar in the HMRC form, e.g. different sections state variously:
"Note: You cannot claim capital allowances if you claim the trading income allowance do not enter an amount here."
"Note: If you claim the trading income allowance, you cannot also claim other capital allowances, do not enter an amount here."
I don't think either of these sentences makes grammatical sense at all but fortunately they don't apply to me!
Thanks in advance for your thoughts 🙂
Comments
-
This may help look under the Cars and other equipment heading
0 -
Hi Kodak1
We cover how the cash basis works with capital purchases on our website here:
Accounts: cash basis | Low Incomes Tax Reform Group
Hope this is useful.
“Official Company Representative
I am an official representative of LITRG (Low Incomes Tax Reform Group) part of the Chartered Institute of Taxation who are an educational charity. We are not part of MSE or HMRC. MSE has given permission for me to post on the Forum but this does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation or its products by MSE. We can’t give individual advice, but if you require further help, we recommend that you contact a tax adviser, HMRC or one of the tax charities where relevant. You can find more information about where to get help with tax here. If you believe I am posting inappropriately please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards