We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Barclays mortgage renewal with arrears

Hello :)

*Just to preface - I have autism and sometimes struggle with auditory processing which Barclays are aware of - I've tried to include as much relevant info as possible below*

I am just looking for some advice/guidance please.

I am nearing the end of a 5 year fixed mortgage with Barclays at 2.27% which is due on 31st May 2026. My current contractual monthly payment is £550.10 with 27 years and 6 months left on my mortgage).

This is shared ownership property (the "owned" portion being 70%).

Around 2.5 years ago I was made redundant and had a number of mortgage defaults, unfortunately I was so overwhelmed/stressed and didn't immediately contact Barclays (big mistake, I definitely know better now!).

My case got passed to litigation and I found new employment which is around the time I got in contact with them. They were really helpful and arranged a payment plan for my arrears to get back on track. This has all gone smoothly and there have been no more defaults or issues with paying.

At the time my mortgage is due in May, I will still have around 12 months left on the arrears/repayment plan.

I haven't had any defaults/payment issues since the arrangement was made. I've also had a significant pay increase as well as now having a additional income from a second job.

I contacted Barclays today ahead of my current rate expiring. Initially I spoke to them on live chat but they said I'd need to speak to an advisor.

I called and asked for an understanding of what would happen next as my mortgage is due soon however I am still in arrears. They advised I would need to call back at the beginning of May to see what options I'd have.

I asked if they could tell me any more because I'm anxious about leaving it to less than a month before my current rate expires but they said they couldn't confirm anything until closer to the time, however confirmed I "would have options" but they were not able to elaborate and said they couldn't do anything before May.

I left the call feeling quite confused and I'm mostly worried that they will suddenly decline offering me a renewal or that if I am given an option that will be unaffordable.

I also noticed on my online account it is showing the following:

"Follow-on deal - TRACKER BEBR +3.49%"

Is this something which will roll on when my current rate expires?

I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar position and if there's anything I can anticipate or to do plan ahead.

I hope this makes sense but please let me know if I can provide any other info.

Comments

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.