Please Can Anyone Help Me????

Options
My Husband & i Have Set up An Iva each which we started paying in nov 2007, the pmts are crippling us, would it be possible to still consider bankruptcy? if we did go bankrupt would we lose our jobs? we are both civil servants. Any advice would be appreciated Pleasespeechless-smiley-040.gifspeechless-smiley-040.gif

Comments

• betterlatethannever
    Options
    Hi Justin, and welcome, yes you can go from an IVA to Bankruptcy but you will need to take some advice first (will post advice links at the bottom of this thread for you)
    Its highly unlikely you will lose your jobs, check your contract of employment to see if BR is mentioned there.
    Good luck and any more questions then just ask.

Professional, free and impartial advice on debt problems can be obtained from several charitable organisations. They never make a penny from the advice they give, which means it will be given with only your best interests at heart.
    You can contact:
    Your local CAB Office and ask to speak to a 'money advisor'.
    The Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) - Tel: 0800 138 1111
    National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000
    Payplan - Tel: 0800 917 7823.
    or visit
    http://www.cccs.co.uk/
    http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/
    http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index.htm
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • tight_jock
    tight_jock Posts: 1,902 Forumite
    Options
    I suggest you get back in touch with your initial source of advice or use one of the agencies in my sig.

An IVA should be affordable if it has been realistically set up in the first place.

If your payments are crippling you then you MUST try and either renegotiate or look into other alternatives.

Are you absolutely sure that BR would cost you your jobs.
    There are very few occupations that are affected these days. An anonymous call to HR to clarify this may be in order too.
  • JUSTIN_DEBT_2
    Options
    My Husband Has Already Missed One Of His Pmts On Iva , I Have Kept Up To Date With Mine, We Have No Equity In House, Could He Declare Himself Bankrupt And Would I Be Able To Keep Up Pmts With My Iva And Transfer The House In My Name? Or Would We Both Have To Go Bankcrupt?
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You would not lose your house in BR if there is no equity in it. You can get someone to buy out your interest in it for a £1 plus low cost conveyancing ( £ 250 )

Did you take advice from a free debt charity before taking out your IVA ? If not then do it now !
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure