We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Time delay after submitting SA1 Form?

alanfp
alanfp Posts: 180
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
I've just submitted my SA1 Form, but still can't see an option to fill in my tax return. 

Is there a time delay before I can actually start entering the relevant figures into my tax return? If so, will HMRC advise me when I can start completing the return?
Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place - where can I find the "Fill in your tax return HERE" button or link?

(I have had my UTR for several years, so I'm not waiting for that).

Comments

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,746
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No idea on time for this but if you log in to your personal tax account can you see a box headed Self Assessment?  The tax return will be in there.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,508
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    alanfp said:
    I've just submitted my SA1 Form, but still can't see an option to fill in my tax return. 

    Is there a time delay before I can actually start entering the relevant figures into my tax return? If so, will HMRC advise me when I can start completing the return?
    Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place - where can I find the "Fill in your tax return HERE" button or link?

    (I have had my UTR for several years, so I'm not waiting for that).
    Do you think the 31 January deadline is relevant for filing the return?
  • alanfp
    alanfp Posts: 180
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think 31st Jan is relevant. Since you ask the question though, do you have a different view?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,508
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    alanfp said:
    I think 31st Jan is relevant. Since you ask the question though, do you have a different view?
    Have you been issued with a return or notice to file a return?

    You can't be late filing something you haven't been asked to file.

    Payments are a different issue, you would still usually need to pay any tax due by 31 January 2026 to avoid interest charges.
  • alanfp
    alanfp Posts: 180
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    According to HMRC website I need to file by 31st Jan because of my financial circumstances.

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,746
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Are you going by a general website page or are you looking at your personal tax account? You haven't said that you have found a self assessment box on that but if you have that will have a bit that says You have to file the return by X.

    Dazed is trying to elicit whether you have a longer period to file - eg 3 months from being asked.

    But people on here can only make suggestions - the only way you will know for sure is by asking HMRC.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.