We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Confused by self assessment

elsien
elsien Posts: 38,282
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
I registered for self-Assessment because as an employee my taxes pays you earn but because of the surveys I do on the side, that brought in other income of about 2 1/2 K last year.
The HMRC tax portal is showing I’m late for 23/24, which I didn’t even know I had to do, but 24/25 is showing that I don’t need to do anything till April although now I’m getting emails telling me I need to submit my return.
This is all completely new to me so any help would be appreciated.
The only other relevant income is un-taxed interest from savings, and an employers pension which has kicked in from a previous employer and I have no clue whether that is already taxed or not. 
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.

Comments

  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,508
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 January at 11:50AM
    elsien said:
    I registered for self-Assessment because as an employee my taxes pays you earn but because of the surveys I do on the side, that brought in other income of about 2 1/2 K last year.
    The HMRC tax portal is showing I’m late for 23/24, which I didn’t even know I had to do, but 24/25 is showing that I don’t need to do anything till April although now I’m getting emails telling me I need to submit my return.
    This is all completely new to me so any help would be appreciated.
    The only other relevant income is un-taxed interest from savings, and an employers pension which has kicked in from a previous employer and I have no clue whether that is already taxed or not. 
    You would need to share screenshots of what you are seeing for anyone to help really, other posters have occasionally got confused about messages relating solely to PAYE and those about Self Assessment.

    The April date could simply be because HMRC haven't sent you a return (or notice to file a return) until recently and you always get a minimum of 3 months to complete a return.

    You can't complete a return for 2024/25 without all the relevant details, your P60 from your pension being one of them.

    But you might want to make a provisional (estimated) payment as you are probably going to be charged interest on any tax paid after 31 January 2026.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,533
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    elsien said:
     and an employers pension which has kicked in from a previous employer and I have no clue whether that is already taxed or not. 
    Your on line tax account should show what is happening with that within a few days of the first payment

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • ppp123
    ppp123 Posts: 16
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    If the extra income was in 2023/24, that’s why HMRC are saying you’re late — the deadline for that year was 31 Jan 2025. Registering for Self Assessment can trigger a notice to file for the previous tax year.

    For 2024/25, you can’t actually submit yet — HMRC emails at this stage are often generic reminders once you’re on SA.

    Employer pensions are usually taxed at source under PAYE, so the income and tax deducted should show on your online tax account or P60.

    If you’re unsure, phoning HMRC Self Assessment is usually the quickest way to get clarity — they’re generally helpful once you get through.

  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,508
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ppp123 said:

    If the extra income was in 2023/24, that’s why HMRC are saying you’re late — the deadline for that year was 31 Jan 2025. Registering for Self Assessment can trigger a notice to file for the previous tax year.

    For 2024/25, you can’t actually submit yet — HMRC emails at this stage are often generic reminders once you’re on SA.

    Employer pensions are usually taxed at source under PAYE, so the income and tax deducted should show on your online tax account or P60.

    If you’re unsure, phoning HMRC Self Assessment is usually the quickest way to get clarity — they’re generally helpful once you get through.

    I agree with most of that but not the sentence in bold, think you have your tax years mixed up.
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,701
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    elsien said:
    I registered for self-Assessment because as an employee my taxes pays you earn but because of the surveys I do on the side, that brought in other income of about 2 1/2 K last year.
    The HMRC tax portal is showing I’m late for 23/24, which I didn’t even know I had to do, but 24/25 is showing that I don’t need to do anything till April although now I’m getting emails telling me I need to submit my return.
    This is all completely new to me so any help would be appreciated.
    The only other relevant income is un-taxed interest from savings, and an employers pension which has kicked in from a previous employer and I have no clue whether that is already taxed or not. 


    I dont think it's accruate you knew nothing of a potential  2023/24 self assessment situation. Your post in April last year indicates to the contrary - 

    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6599378/tax-numpty-question#latest

    Incidentally did you have any self employed income in 2023/24 as well as 2024/25 you now indicate?

    I would suggest if you have all the data to complete a  2024/25 tax return ( ie P60s for pensions/salary, certificates of bank interest, net self employed earnings etc), you should have a go at trying to do so ( asap) either on HMRC's online portal or via one of the many third party self assessment tax software packages  available - example link below

    https://www.abcsa.co.uk/

    You may find third party software more user friendly and supportive compared to HMRC's online portal.

    Incidentally, if the expenses against your self employed earnings are below £1,000, dont overlook the £1,000 trading allowance you are entitled to - see below

    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-allowances-on-property-and-trading-income





★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.