We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Self assessment property boxes?

ben100000
ben100000 Posts: 76
Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts
Forumite
edited 19 January at 5:25PM in Cutting tax
I have a rental property which I am filling the uk property self assessment form.

Obviously I filled in box 20 with my total rents & then I filled in 24 & 25 with my expenses (without any mortgage interest). 

So I have done the deductions between the two & put the profit amount in box 38 ‘adjusted profit for the year’ & the same amount in box 40 ‘taxable profit for the year’.

I then entered my mortgage interest in box 44 ‘residential property finance costs’.

Now my question is (may be obvious but I just want to be sure), is it correct to put both the profit amounts as I have done in box 38 & 40 as well as my mortgage interest in box 44 or do I just put the mortgage interest & not fill in the profit boxes 38 & 40?

Comments

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,746
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I may be wrong but don't boxes 38 and 40 just fill themselves in based on earlier answers?
  • ben100000
    ben100000 Posts: 76
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    DRS1 said:
    I may be wrong but don't boxes 38 and 40 just fill themselves in based on earlier answers?
    Yes that’s correct, I was looking at an old return I had done which confused me but it’s all done now.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.