We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Does this need a self assessment tax submission?

Brie
Brie Posts: 17,824
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Ambassador
OK - so I have submitted a self assessment for the last couple of years on the basis that I get about £170 a month pension from Canada.  It's not taxed in Canada so needs to be taxed here.  I have pension income here (and a tiddly amount of interest earned) so am above the personal exemption level.

My OH has just started to receive his pension from Canada for the stately amount of about £30 a month.  In the UK tax year 24-25 he should have received about £120 but he couldn't get this paid until in the 25-26 UK tax year because the pension people in Canada wanted to send him cheques which would have cost more to cash than they were worth.  It took until August 2025 to get this sorted out and get the money paid directly to a UK account instead.  It's all been caught up and he gets the payment monthly to our UK account.

So should he submit a self assessment form for the £120 (approx) he should have received in 24-25 but didn't get until 25-26.  Without it I believe he is just over the personal exemption limit but I can't tell for sure as he hasn't yet had any change in tax code info having started his SP in the last year.  He does have another pension payment.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅

Comments

  • Sam_666
    Sam_666 Posts: 330
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 18 January at 10:36PM
    Tax is due when income is paid, not when it could have been paid.
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,699
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Brie said:
    OK - so I have submitted a self assessment for the last couple of years on the basis that I get about £170 a month pension from Canada.  It's not taxed in Canada so needs to be taxed here.  I have pension income here (and a tiddly amount of interest earned) so am above the personal exemption level.

    My OH has just started to receive his pension from Canada for the stately amount of about £30 a month.  In the UK tax year 24-25 he should have received about £120 but he couldn't get this paid until in the 25-26 UK tax year because the pension people in Canada wanted to send him cheques which would have cost more to cash than they were worth.  It took until August 2025 to get this sorted out and get the money paid directly to a UK account instead.  It's all been caught up and he gets the payment monthly to our UK account.

    So should he submit a self assessment form for the £120 (approx) he should have received in 24-25 but didn't get until 25-26.  Without it I believe he is just over the personal exemption limit but I can't tell for sure as he hasn't yet had any change in tax code info having started his SP in the last year.  He does have another pension payment.
    See below -

    https://www.litrg.org.uk/international/uk-tax-uk-residents-foreign-income-and-gains/uk-tax-overseas-pensions#:~:text=You may have to do,overseas pension income was reportable.

    Generally pensions are taxable on an accrual basis, per below -

    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim75020#:~:text=paid in advance-,Overview,what amount is actually paid.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,824
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Thanks all

    Looking a @poseidon1 's links I found this....

    If your overseas pension is taxable in the UK – because it is taxable under UK domestic law and either there is no double tax agreement or the double tax agreement states the pension is only taxable in the UK – you will need to report the overseas pension to HMRC.

    So looking at the OH's income for the year 2024/25 he wouldn't have any tax to pay even including the foreign pension.  So I'm not going to file a SA for him.  Likely he also won't have enough income to pay tax in 2025/26 either so again nothing to file.  It may be only in 2026/27 that he gets a full year's worth of SP that there may be tax payable (very likely) so I'll look at it again at that point.  Unless the rules change of course.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,745
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Beware: taxable means liable to tax.  Just because your income is covered by the personal allowance doesn't mean it is not taxable.
  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,745
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    BTW when I read @poseidon1's linked page I thought that if your OH's Canada pension was NOT a Govt pension then the bit that was paid in 25/6 but should have been paid in 24/5 could be returned for 25/6.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,824
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    DRS1 said:
    BTW when I read @poseidon1's linked page I thought that if your OH's Canada pension was NOT a Govt pension then the bit that was paid in 25/6 but should have been paid in 24/5 could be returned for 25/6.
    It is the government pension - equivalent to state pension.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.