Should I send letters?

Options
Hi again

When I spoke to National Debtline, the adviser suggested I send letters to all of my creditors explaining that I am having problems and to offer a 'token payment' by way of a cheque. The letter it was suggested that I send was a 'Hold Action' (available on the ND website). If I send such a letter, do the creditors have to take any notice? The adviser also suggested that alternatively, I might write to creditors stating that my wife and I were petitioning for Personal BR and again, include a token payment. She said that might stop them harassing me? (BTW, I have had the phone number changed) What about the 'Right of first appropriation' I letter that I can send requesting that the bank only pay my priority debts? Is that legally binding? (my bank would be having two DD's payable to them cancelled....)

As always, I look forward to your valued responses

Thanks

BR
In the beginning, there was nothing.
The Lord said "Let there be light".
There was still nothing, but you could see it.

Comments

• debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, they dont have to take any notice but at least you are making the effort to negotiate with your creditors. They will also want to see a financial statement.

I wouldnt bother with first right of appropriation as banks often do not comply with the request. You can complain but they will have already had your money ! You would be far better cancelling your dd and opening a new basic bank account with someone you dont owe money to. Then you can treat your present bank as a '£1.00 per month 'creditor.

wether they accept or not ( or ignore you ) just pay the £1 anyway. Debt collection agencies will try to hassle you in to paying more than you can afford. Put your phone on permanent answer phone and screen the calls if you can.

Best

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • Bald_Runner
    Options
    Thanks DD. What do you mean by a £1 per month creditor? Sureley if I am going BR i am not supposed to pay anybody? Or do i pay them all a similar token amount?
    Thanks

BR
    In the beginning, there was nothing.
    The Lord said "Let there be light".
    There was still nothing, but you could see it.
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's entirely up to you really. Pay a token £1 each to all your creditors might keep them from reacting to quickly.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, sorry I didnt get from your post that you had made a decision to go BR. If you are going Br in the next month then you dont have to do anything as your creditors have no time to take any action against you.

If it is going to be longer than that I would consider a token offer to all to keep them from taking action.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't paid most of my creditors since August and am still hanging in there. I don't answer my phone before 9pm though. It does take quite some time for creditors to take any real action so if you are have made up your mind and are going BR soon, I wouldn't bother with the rest.

:j :j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport