Scottish advice please

Options
A family member of mine is having problems with CSA and loan companies(I have posted re that on CSA Board). My question is that she bought her house in Feb 2007 under the government scheme. She pays mortgage on 67%. when house sells she gets 67% of the profit.

She married in July 2007 but husband is considering going bankrupt. What would be the situation with the house? Would they lose it?

Also will CSA debts be removed?
Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs

Comments

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the board. Unfortunatly we don't have to much experiance with scottish BR. If you PM MSE member Homework I think they have expiriance. Just ask to look at your thread.

Also check out these links

www.moneyscotland.gov.uk

www.aib.gov.uk

CCCS also have a version of their site aimed at people in Scotland.

http://www.scottishdebtline.co.uk/

And their is a forum with a sub-section on debt in Scotland here:

http://www.debtquestions.co.uk/debt_forum/

Plus the scottish section of NDL

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/scotland/
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to ditto the advice given by tigerfeet - talk with one of the above charities.
    If the house is solely in her name, it should NOT be affected by her husband's bankruptcy.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. She was told by someone that as the buying of the house and the marriage took place within a few months it could be shown that she was buying a marital home so this would be included in the Bankruptcy. I shall pass on all advice that can be given to me as currently they can see no way out. Not a happy start to a marriage.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Joyful wrote: »
    She was told by someone that as the buying of the house and the marriage took place within a few months it could be shown that she was buying a marital home so this would be included in the Bankruptcy.

It is true that, if the Insolvency Service believes that an assett was transferred, or a loan taken out, in the knowledge that the 'debtor' was planning to 'seek the protection of bankruptcy' the OR/Trustee would have the power to 'reverse' such a deal.
    I, personally, do not think that this would apply in your family member's case, as she purchased the property, it has remained solely in her name, and she would have had no idea of her, then, fiance's financial problems.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Homework
    Homework Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    A property search would be done and it would be seen that the property was not his.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure