We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Staircasing & stamp duty

brownbearl
brownbearl Posts: 12 Forumite
Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 14 January at 4:18PM in Mortgages & endowments

Hello, please could someone advise if my understanding of the application of the rules is correct. 

In May 2022, I completed on a purchase of 25% (£126,250) of a shared ownership leasehold flat with market value of £505,000, as a first time buyer. At that time I chose not to pay stamp duty on the full market value, so to date I have not paid any stamp duty. 

At the time, Gross Rent was £13,887 per Anum subject to annual rent reviews. My understanding is that my options now are to:

  • Staircase from current 25% to 80% ownership and no stamp duty is due. And we leave it at that.

OR

  • Staircase from current 25% to 100% ownership in one transaction and £8,937.50 stamp duty is due.

OR

  • Staircase to 80% ownership in any number of % stages and no stamp duty is due. I then staircase to 90% ownership and £1,413 stamp duty is due. I then staircase to 100% ownership and £1,525 stamp duty is due.

My working out is below.

Go straight from 25% to 100% in one go

I buy an additional 75% in one transaction:

75% of £505,000 = £378,750

Using the 2021–22 bands:

  • 0% on £125,000 = £0
  • 2% on next £125,000 = £2,500
  • 5% on remaining £128,750 = £6,437.50

Total SDLT = £8,937.50

Staircase in 10% steps, then cross 80% near the end

I staircase 25% → 80% in steps

All of these are £0 SDLT

I staircase 80% → 90%

Total paid so far:

90% of £505,000 = £454,500


SDLT on £454,500:

  • 0% on £125,000 = £0
  • 2% on £125,000 = £2,500
  • 5% on £204,500 = £10,225

Total SDLT on full amount = £12,725

Apportion to this 10% step:

£50,500 ÷ £454,500 = 11.11%

£12,725 × 11.11% = £1,413

I staircase 90% → 100%

Total paid so far: £505,000

SDLT on £505,000:

  • 0% on £125,000 = £0
  • 2% on £125,000 = £2,500
  • 5% on £255,000 = £12,750

Total = £15,250

Apportion to final 10%:

£50,500 ÷ £505,000 = 10%

£15,250 × 10% = £1,525

Total SDLT under the staged method

  • All steps up to 80%: £0
  • 80% → 90%: ~£1,413
  • 90% → 100%: ~£1,525

Total = £2,938

Comments

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,816 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Duplicate thread.  Please see....Staircasing & Stamp duty query. — MoneySavingExpert Forum

    I'll close this one.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.