We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Obtaining The Charging Order Amount Against Property

I am attempting to find the amount of the charging order set against my property. It dates back to 2012 with IDR Finance UK Limited. I have got a copy of the Title Register for the property, but it doesn't list the amount of the charging order. I no longer have any of the paperwork relating to the charging order. My real fear is that if I contact IDR Finance UK Limited to find out the charging order amount it could trigger an Order for Sale. Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,977
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    johnd73 said:

    My real fear is that if I contact IDR Finance UK Limited to find out the charging order amount it could trigger an Order for Sale.
    Why would it do that?

    You need to ask the creditor what is owing.
  • johnd73
    johnd73 Posts: 18
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Concerned that I have not been making any payment towards it, and I have no money to make any payment towards it now. If I contact them and they demand payment, I can't make any payment towards it. So worried they would go for Order for Sale
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,433
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Do they have the right to the money now? I thought a charging order remains on the property until sale. It's only on a mortgage or secured loan where there is a contract agreeing a date for repayment.

    I thought the charging order remains until sale, at which point they calculate the amount needed to redeem the charge.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,977
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 13 January at 11:37PM
    johnd73 said:
    Concerned that I have not been making any payment towards it, and I have no money to make any payment towards it now. If I contact them and they demand payment, I can't make any payment towards it. So worried they would go for Order for Sale
    What's made you think that's a likely scenario?
  • johnd73
    johnd73 Posts: 18
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for the replies. My fear and concern perhaps stems from not understanding how Charging Order works. When researched it, articles often mention the ability of the creditor to be able to force sale of the property. I guess the correct action would be to contact the company, establish the amount of the Charging Order and attempt to budget to start to repay it. Sticking my head in the sand, is what has got me in to so much debt! Thanks again
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.