We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Inverter error and no power going to export meter

Dear all, I'd appreciate any wisdom that you can impart. We're happy to pay a professional if needed, but would like to avoid calling someone out if this is a simple issue. 

My MIL hasn't been getting paid for her solar exports for quite some time (this issue may go back as far as Apr-24). My FIL was the technology enthusiast and sadly passed away. MIL was determined that Octopus were to blame, but I've had a look at the inverter (we also have (less complicated) solar) and there's an error message on the inverter + there doesn't appear to be any power going to the export meter (blank screen). 

I can't identify a mains breaker that's labelled "Solar". There are two PCBs, all circuits appear to be on.

I tried to download a copy of the manual for the inverter and this suggested restarting it. I went into settings, turned off the inverter, then switched the AC and DC isolators off (I believe the AC invertor is the big red/yellow turn switch and the DC isolator is a smaller black dial on the bottom of the inverter). I then restarted the inverter, which powered up but showed the same error.

Any ideas? MIL is at her wit's end and I'm not technically minded! Further complicated by the fact that MIL doesn't know original installer as FIL dealt with that :D

Any thoughts appreciated, even if it's "call your local solar installer". 

Please excuse the poor quality photos. Inverter screen shows the following:

Power: 0W
SoC: N/A
Grid Lost Fault


Export meter is dark:


Power button on left was not depressed. Pressing it causes the lights on the various batteries to cycle at random, and a shrill series of beeps.


«1

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,934 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Welcome to the Green and Ethical corner!
    Dear all, I'd appreciate any wisdom that you can impart. We're happy to pay a professional if needed, but would like to avoid calling someone out if this is a simple issue. 
    ...
    Grid Lost Fault
    Export meter is dark:
    Those two combined make me 95% sure that the problem is that the inverter isn't connected to the mains supply. Most likely the breaker has tripped.
    I can't identify a mains breaker that's labelled "Solar". There are two PCBs, all circuits appear to be on.
    So you've looked in her Consumer Unit (CU, aka fusebox) and there isn't a breaker marked as "solar"? Odd.
    Do you have a photo of the CU that you can share here?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 3,014 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    I agree with QrizB on the diagnosis.

    I'm wondering if you have an outside meter box and they have fitted a small consumer unit in there for the solar?
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 14,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Thanks for commenting @QrizB. As I've said, there are two boards that I think are CUs. Annoyingly, I only took a photo of one of them, I have asked MIL to photograph the other one. 

    I note "EV" at the right of this unit, FIL had an electric car and a charger for this, I can't remember if it was installed at the same time as the solar panels/batteries.


  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 14,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    @Netexporter- they have an outside meter box - I'm 99% sure it's only the gas meter tho, electricity meter is in the living room. 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,934 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 January at 5:19PM
    The two rightmost breakers in that CU are Wylex, not the Doepke brand of the other breakers and the CU itself. This makes me think both were fitted at a later date.
    The rightmost is a RCBO, not a MCB, and looks to be tripped; the lever is down rather than up, and the indicator is green not red.
    If you push the lever up to switch it back on, will it stay there?
    If it stays there, do you now get a reading on the export meter and does the inverter error clear?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 14,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 9 January at 5:23PM
    @QrizB - I've made the cardinal error of trying to fix things as I'm no longer in the house :#

    Have asked for:

    1) Picture of other CU
    2) Picture of outside meter box to see if there's a tripped fuse in there
    3) What happens when you push RCBO up. I believe it won't stay up and pops back down. From memory, I turned off the mains power to the CUs and tried flipping it. It stayed up. When I turned the mains power back on, it popped down.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,934 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 January at 5:43PM
    @QrizB - I've made the cardinal error of trying to fix things as I'm no longer in the house :#
    :D We've all done that, I'm sure!
    The CU that serves the solar PV should (if the installers were following the relevant guidance) be decorated with one of these warning stickers (or something very much like it):
    Edit to add:
    3) What happens when you push RCBO up. I believe it won't stay up and pops back down. From memory, I turned off the mains power to the CUs and tried flipping it. It stayed up. When I turned the mains power back on, it popped down.
    If it trips, it suggests some sort of fault that you will need a sparky (or potentially a solar installer) to investigate.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 4,390 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    3) What happens when you push RCBO up. I believe it won't stay up and pops back down. 
    If that's correct then try shutting off the AC isolator that should be between the meter and the inverter. See if the RCBO will then stay On.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,934 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Qyburn said:

    3) What happens when you push RCBO up. I believe it won't stay up and pops back down. 
    If that's correct then try shutting off the AC isolator that should be between the meter and the inverter. See if the RCBO will then stay On.
    To add, the AC isolator is the bright yellow box in both your first photos.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 14,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    @Qyburn - If the RCBO stays on with the AC Isolator off, what would that mean/show me?
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.