We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Will asking for my UTR trigger anything at HMRC

longwalks1
longwalks1 Posts: 3,850
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 6 January at 8:20PM in Cutting tax
Hope this is in the correct board.

I've worked for the same employer for 28 years, PAYE tax payer.  I use a spread betting account for occasional small trades and received an email saying I need to provide my UTR to continue using it after 1st Jan 2026 (there's a zero balance in it at present).

Will contacting HMRC and asking for my unique tax reference (that I've never needed in 49 years of my life) trigger any kind of monitoring or checking?  I've never done a tax return, and assumed they were for self employed.
Wasn't sure if me asking for my number will highlight me to be looked into (not that i do anything untoward - just dont fancy any extra paperwork) 

Comments

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,832
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    I don't know the answer but think the people who can help will be on the tax board.  I'll move this over.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,508
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hope this is in the correct board.

    I've worked for the same employer for 28 years, PAYE tax payer.  I use a spread betting account for occasional small trades and received an email saying I need to provide my UTR to continue using it after 1st Jan 2026 (there's a zero balance in it at present).

    Will contacting HMRC and asking for my unique tax reference (that I've never needed in 49 years of my life) trigger any kind of monitoring or checking?  I've never done a tax return, and assumed they were for self employed.
    Wasn't sure if me asking for my number will highlight me to be looked into (not that i do anything untoward - just dont fancy any extra paperwork) 
    If you have never filed a return you won't have a UTR.

    Tax returns aren't (just) for the self employed but you won't have one, and can't get one, if you haven't needed to file a return.
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 6,495
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 7 January at 10:31AM
    Hope this is in the correct board.

    I've worked for the same employer for 28 years, PAYE tax payer.  I use a spread betting account for occasional small trades and received an email saying I need to provide my UTR to continue using it after 1st Jan 2026 (there's a zero balance in it at present).

    Will contacting HMRC and asking for my unique tax reference (that I've never needed in 49 years of my life) trigger any kind of monitoring or checking?  I've never done a tax return, and assumed they were for self employed.
    Wasn't sure if me asking for my number will highlight me to be looked into (not that i do anything untoward - just dont fancy any extra paperwork) 
    For a tax identification number usually a national insurance number will suffice: ask this spread betting company if that would be enough? Usually UTR numbers are issued when you're signed up for self assessment.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,569
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The advice I've found online is that you should not be giving your UTR to anyone except the person completing your tax return (eg your accountant) or the person paying you if you are a contractor in the construction industry scheme (CIS). 

    Anyone else gets your NI No, and then only if they have a legitimate need (regulated spread-better Co is probably legit), although aren't returns from spread-betting (like any betting) tax-free?
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,850
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks all
    yes Flaneurs, returns from spread betting are tax exempt, that’s why I wasn’t sure.  I know IG Index are a legitimate company, but I’m edging on the side of caution as to why they want my UTR (I haven’t even got one yet) and what it’s got to do with HMRC? 
    I’ve emailed IGIndex customer service to ask, but as of this morning not had anything back 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.