We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Estate planning with overseas child

13»

Comments

  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 4,159
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 September at 8:54PM

    I have a 101 question. What is a trust-based SIPP? OH and I have 'normal' SIPPs.

    Also, Article 23 says:

    1. Items of income beneficially owned by a resident of a Contracting State, wherever arising, which are not dealt with in the foregoing Articles of this Convention, other than income paid out of trusts or the estates of deceased persons in the course of administration, shall be taxable only in that State.

    Does that mean no more than that inherited estates are not taxed by France, in line with https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1963/1319/pdfs/uksi_19631319_en.pdf but doesn't throw any light on this SIPP issue?

  • Dead_keen
    Dead_keen Posts: 485
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    This stuff is not easy. I have spent a lot of time understanding UK unregistered pensions and unusual US "pension" arrangements and how they work and are taxed in the UK. But I have no absolutely no idea about French law, French domestic tax, or the application of UK/France DTA. As I said before, if the amounts are material I would get proper advice.

    Does that [Article 23] mean no more than that inherited estates are not taxed by France

    No, that is not what Article 23 means. Article 23 is just about income and who has taxing rights, not inheritances and the tax on them

    Whether it matters or not whether a SIPP is contact-based or trust-based is something that is not relevant to the UK tax treatment, and may potentially be relevant to understanding the French tax treatment. But it may be not relevant to that either - I just don't know. Saying that, I am used to trust based pension schemes and assumed that some SIPPs will be trust-based (but have never checked). My SIPP is contract-based and a quick google suggests mosts SIPPs may be contract-based. You can ask your SIPP provider and they shuld be able to tell you. Many, if not all, contract-based SIPPs will use a trustee to hold the assets. As I say, I have no idea if any of that is relevant to French tax.

  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 4,159
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    AI tells me ii's SIPPs are trust-based, but since France does not recognise UK trusts and would probably look through it, it probably makes little difference. In any case, this has been very useful and I'll discuss with our lawyer. Thanks.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.