We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Declaration of Trust re rental income for married couple
GreenGorilla101
Posts: 4
Newbie
in Cutting tax
My wife and I own a rental property with a nominal income. Not a lot, but sufficient that it needs declaring via self assessment. It is subject to a mortgage
To date we've been splitting the income 50/50 and so too the relevant tax liabilities.
I've recently moved into the high rate tax bracket which has bumped up my tax liabilities.
I want to complete a Declaration of Trust to re-apportion the beneficial interest to 99/1 in favour of my wife (a 20% tax payer), and I am am aware it needs submitting to HMRC.
However, I have 2 queries:
1. it is necessary to update the Land Registry? We're both named owners and named on the mortgage, but the title has us as Joint Tenants. My reading suggests this is recommended but is not a legal requirement. Frankly I want to avoid the hassle of TR1s etc
2. I've come across the HMRC note TSEM4015
www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/trusts-settlements-and-estates-manual/tsem4015
Intended to prevent an individual from gaining a tax advantage by making arrangements which divert their income to another person who is liable at a lower rate of tax or is not liable to income tax.
I would suspect many people have re-apportioned beneficial interests in property to avoid tax
Any view on this?
Thanks
To date we've been splitting the income 50/50 and so too the relevant tax liabilities.
I've recently moved into the high rate tax bracket which has bumped up my tax liabilities.
I want to complete a Declaration of Trust to re-apportion the beneficial interest to 99/1 in favour of my wife (a 20% tax payer), and I am am aware it needs submitting to HMRC.
However, I have 2 queries:
1. it is necessary to update the Land Registry? We're both named owners and named on the mortgage, but the title has us as Joint Tenants. My reading suggests this is recommended but is not a legal requirement. Frankly I want to avoid the hassle of TR1s etc
2. I've come across the HMRC note TSEM4015
www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/trusts-settlements-and-estates-manual/tsem4015
Intended to prevent an individual from gaining a tax advantage by making arrangements which divert their income to another person who is liable at a lower rate of tax or is not liable to income tax.
I would suspect many people have re-apportioned beneficial interests in property to avoid tax
Any view on this?
Thanks
0
Comments
-
GreenGorilla101 said:My wife and I own a rental property with a nominal income. Not a lot, but sufficient that it needs declaring via self assessment. It is subject to a mortgage
To date we've been splitting the income 50/50 and so too the relevant tax liabilities.
I've recently moved into the high rate tax bracket which has bumped up my tax liabilities.
I want to complete a Declaration of Trust to re-apportion the beneficial interest to 99/1 in favour of my wife (a 20% tax payer), and I am am aware it needs submitting to HMRC.
However, I have 2 queries:
1. it is necessary to update the Land Registry? We're both named owners and named on the mortgage, but the title has us as Joint Tenants. My reading suggests this is recommended but is not a legal requirement. Frankly I want to avoid the hassle of TR1s etc
2. I've come across the HMRC note TSEM4015
www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/trusts-settlements-and-estates-manual/tsem4015
Intended to prevent an individual from gaining a tax advantage by making arrangements which divert their income to another person who is liable at a lower rate of tax or is not liable to income tax.
I would suspect many people have re-apportioned beneficial interests in property to avoid tax
Any view on this?
Thanks
1. My understanding is that a joint tenancy would need to be severed before a declaration of unequal shares of beneficial ownership in the property can be made:
https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/trusts-settlements-and-estates-manual/tsem9850
This link explains the process for severing a joint tenancy which inevitably involves submitting forms to the Land Registry:
https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership
2. Income follows beneficial ownership so the property income is declared on the respective tax returns in the same split as in the declaration of unequal shares of beneficial ownership. There is no diversion of income so it is not caught by the settlements legislation.
0 -
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards