We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Reimbursed expenses on tax return

Hello

I am completing my first tax return and I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me

I am self-employed, and have been paid mileage by a client at a rate of 45p per mile. I believe this is not taxable as it counts as reimbursed expenses.

Please can I ask how I should treat this on my tax return - leave the amount off completely, or include it in the income figure and then also enter on the allowable business expenses section?

Many thanks

Comments

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,503
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2025 at 4:06PM
    You include it as turnover and as an expense. It was both a business receipt and expense - assuming you are using the HMRC rates for your vehicle expenses?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,807
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GPK10 said:
    Hello

    I am completing my first tax return and I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me

    I am self-employed, and have been paid mileage by a client at a rate of 45p per mile. I believe this is not taxable as it counts as reimbursed expenses.

    Please can I ask how I should treat this on my tax return - leave the amount off completely, or include it in the income figure and then also enter on the allowable business expenses section?

    Many thanks
    Show the mileage paid by the Client as revenue (income) the same as any other revenue.

    Show the costs of the mileage as an expense the same way as you treat any other businesses mileage.
    Are you paying yourself simple mileage?
    Are you claiming vehicle costs as a business expense?
  • GPK10
    GPK10 Posts: 56
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    GPK10 said:
    Hello

    I am completing my first tax return and I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me

    I am self-employed, and have been paid mileage by a client at a rate of 45p per mile. I believe this is not taxable as it counts as reimbursed expenses.

    Please can I ask how I should treat this on my tax return - leave the amount off completely, or include it in the income figure and then also enter on the allowable business expenses section?

    Many thanks
    Show the mileage paid by the Client as revenue (income) the same as any other revenue.

    Show the costs of the mileage as an expense the same way as you treat any other businesses mileage.
    Are you paying yourself simple mileage?
    Are you claiming vehicle costs as a business expense?
    Thank you. This is my only business mileage, I didn't drive except for these paid expenses (this self employment is very much part time). I had assumed that in this scenario I couldn't also claim vehicle costs but happy to be corrected?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,807
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can either pay yourself simple mileage OR you can claim actual vehicle costs.  You can't do both.

    Easiest thing is to enter the 45 pence per mile as revenue and the same amount as a business expense.  That's declaring everything properly but results in zero tax impact.
  • Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,813
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The rate you can claim is 45p on the first 10,000 business miles and 25p thereafter.
    https://www.gov.uk/simpler-income-tax-simplified-expenses/vehicles-
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,326
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You can claim the simple mileage or you apportion your vehicle costs according to personal use/ business use.
     
    You  need to keep a log of your total mileage and your business mileage and apportion your costs by the relevant percentage. 

    E.g. personal 99%/ business 1%. 

    For a small amount of usage claiming the simple mileage  for business use. , which covers fuel and running expenses, is simpler.
  • d6fs1l
    d6fs1l Posts: 41
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you are in self-employment only to a limited extent, it may be worth considering whether to claim the trading allowance rather than actual expenses if the latter are low.
  • GPK10
    GPK10 Posts: 56
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you for all of the replies. I used simple mileage in the end and recorded it in both the turnover and business expenses sections
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.