We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Marriage allowance

Hi, I applied for marriage allowance over 12 weeks ago. 
I have heard nothing from HMRC and obviously I’m waiting to submit my tax return via my accountant and they need to know if it’s been changed or not.

Is this something I can check online, I have looked but I don’t think I can?

Thanks DH

Comments

  • Dh6 said:
    Hi, I applied for marriage allowance over 12 weeks ago. 
    I have heard nothing from HMRC and obviously I’m waiting to submit my tax return via my accountant and they need to know if it’s been changed or not.

    Is this something I can check online, I have looked but I don’t think I can?

    Thanks DH
    If you file a return where are you expecting to see a change?

    Did you apply for 2024/25 only or was it 2024/25 and future years?
  • Dh6
    Dh6 Posts: 199
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I will be applying for this year and the 3 previous years. 

    Do they inform you if/when they change your tax code? 

    Thanks DH
  • Dh6 said:
    I will be applying for this year and the 3 previous years. 

    Do they inform you if/when they change your tax code? 

    Thanks DH
    You may well not need to receive anything, although a new tax code should show on your Personal Tax Account.

    It's your spouse/partner who will be getting more info and any refund due.
  • Get the HMRC app.
  • Dh6
    Dh6 Posts: 199
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    To correct my terminology, my wife has applied for marriage allowance so she can transfer to me to benefit as her income is well below the personal income tax threshold.

    Neither my wife or myself have received any correspondence since the application. 

    My accountant needs to know whether to apply marriage allowance to our tax returns which are ready to be submitted.

    Thanks DH
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,326
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Was the application online ?

    Does her personal tax account show the application received? 
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,533
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 2 January at 12:39PM
    What does it show when you click on the "Marriage allowance" heading ?  It used to state "you are receiving ........."
    What does her account show ?

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.