We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Sanity check SIPP contributions and 40% tax threshold

Sanity check please I’ve been mulling over my SIPP contributions as a tax efficient way to reduce tax burden.
Long story short estimated combined pension/salary/savings interest/dividends for 2025/2026 of £57500.
Will be making a SIPP contribution of £6000 net £7500 gross in January
This is where I need the sanity check obviously this will increase my personal allowance such that I will pay 20% tax on all income but can I reclaim the extra 20% on pension contributions above £50270
Apologies if this is a stupid question just need someone to say if it is !!!!

Comments

  • Mikey481 said:
    Sanity check please I’ve been mulling over my SIPP contributions as a tax efficient way to reduce tax burden.
    Long story short estimated combined pension/salary/savings interest/dividends for 2025/2026 of £57500.
    Will be making a SIPP contribution of £6000 net £7500 gross in January
    This is where I need the sanity check obviously this will increase my personal allowance such that I will pay 20% tax on all income but can I reclaim the extra 20% on pension contributions above £50270
    Apologies if this is a stupid question just need someone to say if it is !!!!

    From the information provided it won't have any impact on your Personal Allowance.

    But it will increase your basic rate band from £50,270 to £57,770.

    There isn't a set extra 20% though.  The higher rate tax saving will depend on what the split of income is between these three elements,

    Pension/earnings
    Interest
    Dividends
  • Mikey481 said:
    Sanity check please I’ve been mulling over my SIPP contributions as a tax efficient way to reduce tax burden.
    Long story short estimated combined pension/salary/savings interest/dividends for 2025/2026 of £57500.
    Will be making a SIPP contribution of £6000 net £7500 gross in January
    This is where I need the sanity check obviously this will increase my personal allowance such that I will pay 20% tax on all income but can I reclaim the extra 20% on pension contributions above £50270
    Apologies if this is a stupid question just need someone to say if it is !!!!

    From the information provided it won't have any impact on your Personal Allowance.

    But it will increase your basic rate band from £50,270 to £57,770.

    There isn't a set extra 20% though.  The higher rate tax saving will depend on what the split of income is between these three elements,

    Pension/earnings
    Interest
    Dividends
    Split is
    Salary 25800
    Pension £30500
    Savings interest £450
    Dividends £750
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,691
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 December 2025 at 1:23PM
    Mikey481 said:
    Sanity check please I’ve been mulling over my SIPP contributions as a tax efficient way to reduce tax burden.
    Long story short estimated combined pension/salary/savings interest/dividends for 2025/2026 of £57500.
    Will be making a SIPP contribution of £6000 net £7500 gross in January
    This is where I need the sanity check obviously this will increase my personal allowance such that I will pay 20% tax on all income but can I reclaim the extra 20% on pension contributions above £50270
    Apologies if this is a stupid question just need someone to say if it is !!!!

    As said it will not affect your personal allowance.
    The SIPP provider will add 25% to your contribution as basic rate tax relief, which they will claim from HMRC ( you do not have to do anything).
    If you think you are eligible for higher rate tax relief, then you need to inform HMRC of your gross ( including the tax relief) contributions. Any extra tax relief due will be paid back to you directly, not to your pension.

    As you have employment income, do you not already contribute to a workplace pension? or are yous elf employed maybe ?
  • Mikey481 said:
    Sanity check please I’ve been mulling over my SIPP contributions as a tax efficient way to reduce tax burden.
    Long story short estimated combined pension/salary/savings interest/dividends for 2025/2026 of £57500.
    Will be making a SIPP contribution of £6000 net £7500 gross in January
    This is where I need the sanity check obviously this will increase my personal allowance such that I will pay 20% tax on all income but can I reclaim the extra 20% on pension contributions above £50270
    Apologies if this is a stupid question just need someone to say if it is !!!!

    As said it will not affect your personal allowance.
    The SIPP provider will add 25% to your contribution as basic rate tax relief, which they will claim from HMRC ( you do not have to do anything).
    If you think you are eligible for higher rate tax relief, then you need to inform HMRC of your gross ( including the tax relief) contributions. Any extra tax relief due will be paid back to you directly, not to your pension.

    As you have employment income, do you not already contribute to a workplace pension? or are yous elf employed maybe ?
    Mikey481 said:
    Sanity check please I’ve been mulling over my SIPP contributions as a tax efficient way to reduce tax burden.
    Long story short estimated combined pension/salary/savings interest/dividends for 2025/2026 of £57500.
    Will be making a SIPP contribution of £6000 net £7500 gross in January
    This is where I need the sanity check obviously this will increase my personal allowance such that I will pay 20% tax on all income but can I reclaim the extra 20% on pension contributions above £50270
    Apologies if this is a stupid question just need someone to say if it is !!!!

    As said it will not affect your personal allowance.
    The SIPP provider will add 25% to your contribution as basic rate tax relief, which they will claim from HMRC ( you do not have to do anything).
    If you think you are eligible for higher rate tax relief, then you need to inform HMRC of your gross ( including the tax relief) contributions. Any extra tax relief due will be paid back to you directly, not to your pension.

    As you have employment income, do you not already contribute to a workplace pension? or are yous elf employed maybe ?
    Thanks for the information no I was only employed in April and left on an early incentivised retirement scheme.
    So I could still claim the extra 20% tax relief  on income above £50270 ?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,326
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you are no longer employed you may not be able to pay in. £6000.
  • sheramber said:
    If you are no longer employed you may not be able to pay in. £6000.
    Even though those earnings are in this financial year ?
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,691
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Mikey481 said:
    sheramber said:
    If you are no longer employed you may not be able to pay in. £6000.
    Even though those earnings are in this financial year ?
    It is a bit confusing. You say you left employment just maybe 3 weeks into the tax year, but in that time you earned over £25K . Is that correct ?
  • Mikey481 said:
    sheramber said:
    If you are no longer employed you may not be able to pay in. £6000.
    Even though those earnings are in this financial year ?
    It is a bit confusing. You say you left employment just maybe 3 weeks into the tax year, but in that time you earned over £25K . Is that correct ?
    Yes that’s correct it was an incentive scheme for those of a certain age !!
    Not a redundancy. Due to being in receipt of an occupational pension the figure that my employer had to pay to achieve the net figure (£15000 tax code BR) resulted in a gross figure as in my original post. HMRC assumed that this would be effectively 1/12th of annual salary. So not only did I pay HRT also 45%.
    A unique situation I know bearing in mind that I actually didn’t pay the tax as such my company did to achieve the net figure.
    I have spoken to an ex colleague a tax consultant who has confirmed what I proposed to do is permissible so win win.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.