We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Standard life endowment

Standard life endowment is due to mature Jan 26, it still appears on track, how likely is it to actually pay the amount it currently is projected? Anyone with recent experience? 

Comments

  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 2,377
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Is it unit linked? If so it's at the vagaries of the markets. If it is with profits then you could check what the guaranteed payout value currently states.

    I took my last unit linked endowment two months early as it had hit the target I needed to hit and with no early surrender penalties I was happy to lock the payout in.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,887
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
     how likely is it to actually pay the amount it currently is projected?
    1) Depends on how long ago the projection was produced
    2) Depends on whether it is unit linked or conventional with profits (the latter used to significantly under project and result in a better maturity)
    3) depends on what happens between now and maturity.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,427
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    I’m quite surprised that these endowment mortgages still exist. Assuming a fairly standard 25 yr mortgage, that means it was sold to you around the start of 2001. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,887
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Standard Life were one of the last to pull out.  2003 was their final year IIRC.   From memory the very last provider in the mainstream was SW in 2005.


    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.