We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Should I get an EV now I have solar panels?
Comments
-
I've got a 3 year old MG4 and have been very happy with it apart from a software glitch once that affects many modern cars and simply solved by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting after 10 minutes to clear all the capacitors. As for the speed limiter and other software which one has to switch off every time, it is a universal safety requirement these days. It's not the best software implementation but perhaps reflects the price.I've the lower mileage model and been to Italy the last two summers, so it's a versatile enough car. I went electric replacing a 13 year old ICE and would never go back.The solar PV in a way is an irrelevance, but the MG4's V2L allows me to use Agile and when you get the odd spike to 50p (or whatever) I cook using the car's battery as I have no domestic one.0
-
@silverwhistle it's trying to go between speed limit and acc which is hopeless without a co pilot, especially in Android Auto.Excellent use of V2L. I forced my wife to use it once to make a cup of tea instead of using the mway services. Not popular as it was quite cold outside with the kettle 😀4.7kwp PV split equally N and S 20° 2016.Givenergy AIO (2024)Seat Mii electric (2021). MG4 Trophy (2024).1.2kw Ripple Kirk Hill. 0.6kw Derril Water.Vaillant aroTHERM plus 5kW ASHP (2025)Gas supply capped (2025)0
-
This is the exact experience of my neighbour. It's been in their workshop for 4 months (out of 6).carly said:Based on my family's experience I wouldnt have an MG4. It will be in the service garage more than out of it. Sorry to burst your bubble. Look elsewhere.- 10 x 400w LG Bifacial + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial + 2 x 570W SHARP Bifacial + 5kW SolarEdge Inverter + SolarEdge Optimizers. SE London.
- Triple aspect: ENE (2.7 kWp), WSW (3.3 kWp), SSE (2.4 kWp)
- Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (The most efficient gas boiler sold)Feel free to DM me for help with any form of energy saving! Happy to help!0 -
Hi Everyone
Thank you all for your comments and feedback - very much appreciated. On reflection, I think I was looking for encouragement / "permission" from you all as changing a car I wasn't planning to change so soon after the big solar panel investment wasn't feeling like 100% the right way forward, but at the same time there are many positive aspects to changing.
Your mix of responses is almost a reflection of what's going on in my head. Thank you for the feedback on the MG4. I've had my fingers in my ears telling myself that a newer, low mileage version would be just fine, but I think I need to listen to what you're saying.
It's shame as I liked it to drive and my budget would stretch to a 2023, maybe even 2024, low mileage version. Back to the ID3, I think.
One of the biggest issues I've had when reading up on EV's is that they tend towards the big SUV type things. There isn't much that is Golf sized. I would love a roller skate of a car like the e-UP! (liked that description) but sadly I don't think my two 6ft+ teens would fancy squeezing into it.
Thanks again. Decision parked until the Spring I think while we get to grips with our panels and keep an eye on the used EV market.3 -
Very sensible! I've had 5 of us in my MG4 and definitely roomier than an E-Up but the women in my football team aren't as big as your sons.. But there'll probably be even more choice in the spring, but don't wait too long as the market perks up after winter!0
-
A Hyundai inster is deceptively roomy. Alas, you won't find one as old as a year so might not have depreciated enough for you yet.
NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq51 -
I understand the Kia Soul is discontinued but a late-model one of them might fit the bill? I had one as a hire car a few years back (ICE not petrol) and I recall it being fairly roomy.EricMears said:A Hyundai inster is deceptively roomy. Alas, you won't find one as old as a year so might not have depreciated enough for you yet.N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
Beanbag_35 said:Hi Everyone
Thank you all for your comments and feedback - very much appreciated. On reflection, I think I was looking for encouragement / "permission" from you all as changing a car I wasn't planning to change so soon after the big solar panel investment wasn't feeling like 100% the right way forward, but at the same time there are many positive aspects to changing.
Your mix of responses is almost a reflection of what's going on in my head. Thank you for the feedback on the MG4. I've had my fingers in my ears telling myself that a newer, low mileage version would be just fine, but I think I need to listen to what you're saying.
It's shame as I liked it to drive and my budget would stretch to a 2023, maybe even 2024, low mileage version. Back to the ID3, I think.
One of the biggest issues I've had when reading up on EV's is that they tend towards the big SUV type things. There isn't much that is Golf sized. I would love a roller skate of a car like the e-UP! (liked that description) but sadly I don't think my two 6ft+ teens would fancy squeezing into it.
Thanks again. Decision parked until the Spring I think while we get to grips with our panels and keep an eye on the used EV market.Two years ago we sold our petrol Golf and bought a secondhand e-Golf. It's a brilliant car: quick, quiet, efficient, reliable and very nice to drive. It does have limited range (140 miles in Summer and 100 in Winter) but we use it for 90+ percent of our journeys.6.4kWp (16 * 400Wp REC Alpha) facing ESE + 5kW Huawei inverter + 10kWh Huawei battery. Vaillant Arotherm Pro 7kW heat pump.1 -
The e-Up only has 4 seats.4.7kwp PV split equally N and S 20° 2016.Givenergy AIO (2024)Seat Mii electric (2021). MG4 Trophy (2024).1.2kw Ripple Kirk Hill. 0.6kw Derril Water.Vaillant aroTHERM plus 5kW ASHP (2025)Gas supply capped (2025)0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

