We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Give as you earn scheme
CaptainWales
Posts: 392
Forumite
in Cutting tax
Is it possible to use the Give as you earn scheme to reduce your salary below a certain tax band?
For example, if I just fall into the higher rate bracket, can I use Give as you earn so I fall back into being a basic rate taxpayer? Its unclear to me whether Give as you earn is akin to salary sacrifice.
For example, if I just fall into the higher rate bracket, can I use Give as you earn so I fall back into being a basic rate taxpayer? Its unclear to me whether Give as you earn is akin to salary sacrifice.
0
Comments
-
i think so. GAYE can be used to reduce your taxable income below a tax band, similar to a salary sacrifice, but it only affects income tax, not NI.
But don't rely on me, im not 100%
(personally i don't pay any money to the Inland Revenue -----> i live by the seaside!)I have a tendency to mute most posts so if your expecting me to respond you might be waiting along time!0 -
Any of us would be hard pushed to pay anything to an organisation that hasn't existed since 2005singhini said:i think so. GAYE can be used to reduce your taxable income below a tax band, similar to a salary sacrifice, but it only affects income tax, not NI.
But don't rely on me, im not 100%
(personally i don't pay any money to the Inland Revenue -----> i live by the seaside!)2 -
This article explains -CaptainWales said:Is it possible to use the Give as you earn scheme to reduce your salary below a certain tax band?
For example, if I just fall into the higher rate bracket, can I use Give as you earn so I fall back into being a basic rate taxpayer? Its unclear to me whether Give as you earn is akin to salary sacrifice.
https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-nic/income-tax/payroll-giving#:~:text=If you pay tax through,you earn' or workplace giving.0 -
Who says?Isthisforreal99 said:
Any of us would be hard pushed to pay anything to an organisation that hasn't existed since 2005singhini said:i think so. GAYE can be used to reduce your taxable income below a tax band, similar to a salary sacrifice, but it only affects income tax, not NI.
But don't rely on me, im not 100%
(personally i don't pay any money to the Inland Revenue -----> i live by the seaside!)0 -
isthisforreal99 may not have got the joke i was alluding to (a Ken Dodd joke)sheramber said:
Who says?Isthisforreal99 said:
Any of us would be hard pushed to pay anything to an organisation that hasn't existed since 2005singhini said:i think so. GAYE can be used to reduce your taxable income below a tax band, similar to a salary sacrifice, but it only affects income tax, not NI.
But don't rely on me, im not 100%
(personally i don't pay any money to the Inland Revenue -----> i live by the seaside!)I have a tendency to mute most posts so if your expecting me to respond you might be waiting along time!0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards