We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Class 3 NICs as a company director

monkey-fingers
monkey-fingers Posts: 422
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 1 December 2025 at 5:12PM in Cutting tax
I started up a Ltd company this year and because I have already previously breached my £12,570 tax allowance, I'm not paying myself a wage.

Normally, under these circumstances, people would pay Class 3 NICs to ensure pension contribution. Except that I don't need to as my pension is already full (Although I'm in my mid 50s, I've not missed a year since I was 18).

Other than trying to read the crystal ball and seeing them extend to 40 years or something, is there any point in paying Class 3 NICs?

Comments

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,813
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I started up a Ltd company this year and because I have already previously breached my £12,570 tax allowance, I'm not paying myself a wage.

    Normally, under these circumstances, people would pay Class 2 NICs to ensure pension contribution. Except that I don't need to as my pension is already full (Although I'm in my mid 50s, I've not missed a year since I was 18).

    Other than trying to read the crystal ball and seeing them extend to 40 years or something, is there any point in paying Class 2 NICs?
    I am not sure that is correct.

    AIUI, Class 2 NICs are only for self employed (sole trader).

    Having started a Ltd Co., of which you are sole Shareholder and sole Director, you are now an employee of that Ltd Co.  The £12.5k that is drawn as salary is subject to employer NI, employee NI and income tax in the normal manner.
  • I think you must be referring to Class 3 NIC, i.e. voluntary contributions
  • Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,813
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Class 3, which at £923 for 2025/26, is a lot dearer than class 2, and is your only option. If the pension forecast in your online personal tax account at HMRC confirms that there is no way of increasing your pension, you'd probably be better gambling on something that at least says you might get something in return.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,533
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Directors pay "standard" NI based on their annual income rather than per pay period.  If no income then they would need to pay class 3, class 2 is only for self employed.  If your forecast shows you have already reached the max, as confirmed in the texts below the big green box, there is no point paying any more.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • Thank you all. You're right, it's Class 3 NICs.

    OK, no worries. And indeed, I have a green box!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,533
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Everyone has a green box, it is what is written below it that is most important.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • molerat said:
    Everyone has a green box, it is what is written below it that is most important.

    You can get your State Pension on 3 October 2038

    Your forecast is £230.25 a week, £1,001.18 a month, £12,014.12 a year

  • molerat said:
    Everyone has a green box, it is what is written below it that is most important.

    You can get your State Pension on 3 October 2038

    Your forecast is £230.25 a week, £1,001.18 a month, £12,014.12 a year

    The full explanation, you might only have accrued a smaller amount.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.