We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Am I too cautious?

I staircased to 100%, I now have:

primary mortgage £29,000 at 1.4% until April 2026
Secondary mortgage £125,000 at 3.97% until November 2027. (both 11years term)
Per month that amounts to about £1500. 

My bills come to £500/month. 
I have £5000 on a 0%interest card which I am paying off £200/month. 

I have £15,000 in savings and a take home monthly of £3200 approx. 

Once all the bills have come out, I am left with £1000 for food etc and savings. I put £300 in a FD regular saver and £400 in a Lloyd’s regular saver. 

My salary will increase in April 2027 by 10% before tax. 

What I am asking is how to best manage my money. The mortgage interest is £250 a month, should I put a chunk of my savings into it? I resent paying that in interest, and my £15,000 in savings will never make me the £250 I’m forking out in interest. 
But the savings are giving me peace of mind, I can afford to pay the mortgage for a year if anything should happen. 

I’m not sure why I’m saving £700 a month, it’s just something I’ve always done, it allowed me to put down a hefty deposit for the second mortgage, gave me a savings nest etc, but would that money be better off thrown at the mortgage?

Am I too cautious?

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Your paying £250 a month interest on £154,000. 
    You cant really compare that to earning £250 interest on 10% of that figure. 

    I have a 2 savings accounts, one is paying me 5% and another 4.2% - these were taken out a while back and will run out soon. But my mortgage is 2.5% so it currently makes sense for me to put money into savings rather than my mortgage. 

    If you can get your savings into an account that pays around 4% then having those savings is not costing you anything compared to your mortgage as one would cancel out the other (not taking into account any tax on the savings). 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,425 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Once you reduce your mortgage you can’t get it back. Could you do anything more useful with the money eg pension contributions?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • The savings are earning above 5%, I have a cash ISA and a nationwide members bond, the FD earns 7% and the Lloyds 5.5% I think. I see what you mean. 

    I have an NHS pension I’m paying into. 
  • I’m struggling to see how the interest on the two mortgages comes to just £250 per month. By my calculations the interest is approximately £34 on the primary and £413 on the secondary, a combined total of around £447?
  • @Barralad77, I averaged the interest paid in total over the 11 years, but you’re right, it is about that in the first couple of years. Yes, the interest goes down, but all in all I’m paying about £33,000 in interest over the entire term. 
  • Not sure why you’re calculating the interest you are paying/will be paying based on historical data from the past 11 years (when interest rates have been at historical all-time lows)? Why not simply calculate the interest using (a) the current interest rates and (b) the current balances? Or have I misconstrued your reply? Even then, the balances are probably irrelevant as it’s the interest rates (on the mortgages) vs returns from somewhere else (ISAs/Investments, etc.). If, next  April, the former average out at (e.g.,) 4% but you can secure more than that elsewhere then put the money elsewhere and make it work for you more effectively.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.