We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Neighbours Loft Extension Reducing my PV Output

michaels
michaels Posts: 29,753
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 3 November 2025 at 5:16PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Title says it all really.  Luckily I have individual panel optimisers so it is only hurting some of the panels rather than a whole string but I suspect of order 15% pa output lost so perhaps £100 of FIT plus the value of the output.

But my question is, the loft was permitted development so there was no option to object via a planning application.  Too late now but is there anything anyone in a similar position can do to protect their PV output?  Thanks
I think....
«1

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,970
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think the short answer is no, there isn't.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,889
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Do you have legal cover as part of your home insurance? If so, I would recommend contacting them to see if bringing a civil claim for lost earnings has a greater than 50% chance of success. If it does, they will proceed to attempt to recover some funds for you at no cost to you.

    Be prepared to furnish proof of past earnings and proof of lost future earnings.  (This would be much harder without optimizers and is yet another reason to recommend them)

    It may eventually result in an offer to settle being made. I would suggest taking it so as to not permanently damage neighbourly relationships. 
    -  10 x 400w LG Bifacial + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial + 2 x 570W SHARP Bifacial + 5kW SolarEdge Inverter + SolarEdge Optimizers. SE London.

    -  Triple aspect: ENE (2.7 kWp), WSW (3.3 kWp), SSE (2.4 kWp)

    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (The most efficient gas boiler sold)

    Feel free to DM me for help with any form of energy saving! Happy to help! 
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 4,390
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Not directly relevant but related, we now have existing windfarm operators trying to claim against newly built windfarms that they claim are reducing their output.
  • Any chance you can move the panels affected to a better location?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,531
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Surely this is just an extension of the old "no right to light" argument ?

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 5,539
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 3 November 2025 at 6:34PM
    Over the 7 years I have had my panels, two sycamore trees in gardens across the road grew significantly such that they affected the early morning output of panels on my ENE facing roof. I would have liked to say something but I value neighbourly relations more than a few quid of generation. Anyway, at the end of last year, first one neighbour then the other chopped down their trees at a cost in excess of £1k each. If you like your neighbours keep quiet. If you don’t then you could make a fuss but I doubt you’ll get any financial compensation, just a lot of unnecessary stress and a neighbour who doesn’t talk to you. Best just accept it, I think, and worry instead about things that matter, like the earth catching fire.

    One thing to bear in mind before formally complaining is that if you sell your house you probably would have to declare it in the Seller's Property Information Form (TA6).
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kWwest facing panels , 3.6 kWeast facing), Solis inverters installed 2018, 5kW SSE facing system (shaded in afternoon) added in 2025 with Tesla PW3 battery, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted A2A Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,905
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    edited 4 November 2025 at 11:32AM
    Overshadowing is a consideration for planning, where planning consent is required.
    See the following High Court case where planning permission was subsequently overruled as the planners had failed to take into account the effect overshadowing a neighbours solar panels:

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 29,753
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    NedS said:
    Overshadowing is a consideration for planning, where planning consent is required.
    See the following High Court case where planning permission was subsequently overruled as the planners had failed to take into account the effect overshadowing a neighbours solar panels:

    I saw that one too, but for us because the loft extension was permitted development there was no planning process/permission.  Not sure if neighbours have any right to object to permitted development or what the process would be.
    I think....
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 5,539
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 4 November 2025 at 2:54PM
    Planning permission doesn’t negate a claim in nuisance but the remedy is likely to be restricted to financial damages. You are unlikely to be able to get the extension removed if within PD rights. What would you like to achieve? Pursuing damages from your neighbour may sour your relationship with your neighbours and other neighbours will probably take sides. That could impact on your whole family. 

    Did your neighbours tell you in advance what they were planning and if so did you voice any concerns?


    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kWwest facing panels , 3.6 kWeast facing), Solis inverters installed 2018, 5kW SSE facing system (shaded in afternoon) added in 2025 with Tesla PW3 battery, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted A2A Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 29,753
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    JKenH said:
    Planning permission doesn’t negate a claim in nuisance but the remedy is likely to be restricted to financial damages. You are unlikely to be able to get the extension removed if within PD rights. What would you like to achieve? Pursuing damages from your neighbour may sour your relationship with your neighbours and other neighbours will probably take sides. That could impact on your whole family. 

    Did your neighbours tell you in advance what they were planning and if so did you voice any concerns?


    They did tell us what they planned.  I had to insist on a party wall surveyor (who did not mention the issue) but it did not occur to me that the impact on the panels would be so large.  SO I agree it is probably too late for me to do anything.  I have about 10 more years of FIT so the financial loss is probably of order £1000 total so not worth going to court over and I am unsure whether to even mention it to the neighbours or not.

    I was more wondering if I had realised before, whether there was anything I could have done but suspect it would have been the same situation, the neighbours could have gone ahead anyway under permitted development and I would have had the option to go to court for damages or not.
    I think....
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.