We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

NEST Pensions

I have 3 pensions 1 with Aegon with £10k (ex employer pension) in 1 with Prudential with £10k in (personal pension) ,   Another with Nest £33k and adding around £950 to this each month via my salary (total employers an employees contribution).  Im 53 and am starting to think about what I should do about a lump sum before Im 57.   Nest dont allow you to take a tax free lump sum so I'm thinking that I can transfer my pot with them elsewhere and  and then rejoin Nest - my worry is If i keep contributing to Nest I wont see any of the money until i'm 66 Id like to see some of it before then - probably around £20k to do a few bucket list things.

Comments

  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,467 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 12 October 2025 at 3:29PM
    The early access age is currently age 55, going to age 57 on 6th April 2028.

    Personally I wouldn't be contributing more to Nest, above the maximum employer match, due to their 1.8% charge on your contributions.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

    Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,808 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I'm surprised at you saying that Nest won't give you 25% TFLS.  I'm sure I got one but then again my amount was a couple of thousand not what you have.  
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Brie said:
    I'm surprised at you saying that Nest won't give you 25% TFLS.  I'm sure I got one but then again my amount was a couple of thousand not what you have.  
    It may be because contributions are still being made (to Nest)?
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 5,884 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Are the Aegon / Prudential pensions actually over or under £10k?
    There is the small pots rule, which allows you to take an amount up to £10k without triggering the MPAA.
    75% of what is taken would be taxed at your normal rate.
  • oliel
    oliel Posts: 291 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    cloud_dog said:
    The early access age is currently age 55, going to age 57 on 6th April 2028.

    Personally I wouldn't be contributing more to Nest, above the maximum employer match, due to their 1.8% charge on your contributions.
    my employers put more if instead of paying me more via salary so that i dont go into higher rate tax so it works for me.   Just thought i would be able to take 25% the tax free sum sum when i was 55 but nest say i would have to transfer all of my pension nto another provider and take a tax free lump sum from there.   Then if i wanted to continue with contributions with next via my employer i would have to restart contributions with nest.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,633 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Brie said:
    I'm surprised at you saying that Nest won't give you 25% TFLS.  I'm sure I got one but then again my amount was a couple of thousand not what you have.  
    It may be because contributions are still being made (to Nest)?
    From their website, they do not seem to offer full flexibility on withdrawals.
    They have their own 'Nest Retirement plan' 
    Otherwise you can take UFPLS payments, or take the whole lot in one go.

  • Patfig
    Patfig Posts: 27 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    I thought you could take 25% tax free from Nest but that actually int the case. I have a small pot with a value of about 33K. I am late 50's and thought about taking 25% of it out, juts under 8K BUT 25% of it is tax free the other portion is taxed. As an annuity the whole pot is worth about £80 per month so I might withdraw it all buy a camper van and go enjoy myself.

  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,351 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    You could transfer it to a pension provider which offers the flexibility to access 25% tax free and leave the rest invested, per your original thoughts.

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,633 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    OP - It is normally very easy to set up a new SIPP/personal pension online, and request a transfer in of your current pension.

    However from previous threads, Nest do not seem to always make it easy to transfer out.

    All pension providers are obliged to be on the lookout for scams, and to protect their customers from rogue operators. However Nest seem to be a bit oversensitive in this area. So if you do set up a new pension best to stick with the bigger, well known providers, and if they ask you what you intend to invest in, just say something like a FTSE 100 fund.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.