We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Tax Return SA100 - Commercial software?

I am registered for self assessment as I'm lucky enough to have interest/dividend income of £11000 . Filling in the SA100 in the past seemed easy enough but now it's getting complicated....for example I have some Banco Santander shares and divis were over £500 and a spanish tax was deducted. Also another share holding had a rights issue which I took the money and looks like this is liable to CGT. I approached a couple of Pro Account firms but they quoted enourmes fees to do a return....so wondering if it would be worth trying Commercial Software for self assessment as advertised on the HMRC website. Any thoughts or recommends please?

Comments

  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,699
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I use and can reccomend GoSimple tax per my detailed post on 15 June in the thread below:


    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/81500295#Comment_81500295?utm_source=community-search&utm_medium=organic-search&utm_term=Gosimple+tax

    Appears their free trial is still running.



  • This looks good thank you....it appears free until you actually want to submit to HMRC so an ideal way to enter figures before committing
  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,745
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Are you sure you need commercial software?  The HMRC version can cope with both those things.

    For the CGT bit if your gain is less than the £3k annual allowance you won't need to report it anyway.

    The Santander dividends might be able to go in the UK dividends part (it used to be up to £300 but I think they increased it recently - can't remember what the new figure is).  But if you need to do a Foreign Page it should be simple enough - the main bugbear is getting the foreign tax rate right.
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,699
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I am registered for self assessment as I'm lucky enough to have interest/dividend income of £11000 . Filling in the SA100 in the past seemed easy enough but now it's getting complicated....for example I have some Banco Santander shares and divis were over £500 and a spanish tax was deducted. Also another share holding had a rights issue which I took the money and looks like this is liable to CGT. I approached a couple of Pro Account firms but they quoted enourmes fees to do a return....so wondering if it would be worth trying Commercial Software for self assessment as advertised on the HMRC website. Any thoughts or recommends please?
    Just noticed your reference to sale of rights. Some rules to become familiar with.

    If proceeds less than 5% of market value of your holding at date of disposal the, proceeds are deducted from pooled cost of the holding - see below

    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg57835

    If proceeds greater than 5% then you are stuck with a computation to ascertain the taxable gain attributable to those rights per below

    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg57857
  • First of all I'm extremely grateful for your input. I think you are correct insomuch the HRMC and Gosimple return the same figure on tax due calculation with the figures I enter.

    I am entering the rights issue sale (Pennon Group Plc total £7000) as full amount as a capital gain, but from your links I can see that that might not be correct. Some more investigation on my part needed I think to try and get my head round this.

    Thanks again.
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,699
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    MODERATORS, @MiranjaneStrauss is clearly intent on flooding both Techie and Cutting Tax forums with spam today. Blocking their efforts would be greatly appreciated.

  • pecunianonolet
    pecunianonolet Posts: 2,137
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 4 June at 3:25PM

    I just came here to ask exactly the same, about commercial software because HMRC only allows an SA109 to be done via software or paper.

    I came across https://www.abratax.co.uk/ that is on the approved vendor list of HMRC and it's free but in my case it failed to calculate anything. Emailed support so let's see what they say. Any other software recommendations, ideally for free?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.