We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Self Assessment - Rounding

RacingDriver
RacingDriver Posts: 489
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 7 September 2025 at 10:44AM in Cutting tax
I understand income should be rounded down, and expenses/tax paid/reliefs should be rounded up to the whole pound.

When completing my Self Assessment online most fields automatically round when I enter my figures, however the employment tax paid (SA102, box 2) does not round automatically.

Is it expected not to round this field, or is it an issue with the online form?

Comments

  • I understand income should be rounded up, and expenses/tax paid/reliefs should be rounded down to the whole pound.

    When completing my Self Assessment online most fields automatically round when I enter my figures, however the employment tax paid (SA102, box 2) does not round automatically.

    Is it expected not to round this field, or is it an issue with the online form?
    Where have you read that?

    It seems the exact opposite of what I thought you should do/expect to happen!
  • I understand income should be rounded up, and expenses/tax paid/reliefs should be rounded down to the whole pound.

    When completing my Self Assessment online most fields automatically round when I enter my figures, however the employment tax paid (SA102, box 2) does not round automatically.

    Is it expected not to round this field, or is it an issue with the online form?
    Where have you read that?

    It seems the exact opposite of what I thought you should do/expect to happen!
    Yes correct, sorry typed wrong way around, now edited
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,327
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I understand income should be rounded down, and expenses/tax paid/reliefs should be rounded up to the whole pound.

    When completing my Self Assessment online most fields automatically round when I enter my figures, however the employment tax paid (SA102, box 2) does not round automatically.

    Is it expected not to round this field, or is it an issue with the online form?
    If you paid tax of £5472 .90  are you happy to only be credited with £5472?
  • No, but I'd prefer to be credited with £5,473 (i.e. round up)
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.