We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Defining a second home.

Question re: Second Home definition. 
I live abroad where I pay money to rent a place. 
Back in UK I was letting out my flat but tenant now left and I am in charge of council tax. But the council have sent me a bill outlining the costs - it regards the place as a second home!!!!! And so the council tax is a whopping double. Is this right? I don’t own another property and am only renting somewhere myself. Stressing me out as I am trying to sell my flat and not have another tenant so this is all dead money. 

Thanks for any advice

Comments

  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 4,203
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is it your main residence?

    If not then it is a second home.

    I think that is how they interpret it.


  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,327
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Secong Home or empty home bioth incur the higher charge.

    Youir house is empty.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,816
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    thenap80 said:
    Question re: Second Home definition. 
    I live abroad where I pay money to rent a place. 
    Back in UK I was letting out my flat but tenant now left and I am in charge of council tax. But the council have sent me a bill outlining the costs - it regards the place as a second home!!!!! And so the council tax is a whopping double. Is this right? I don’t own another property and am only renting somewhere myself. Stressing me out as I am trying to sell my flat and not have another tenant so this is all dead money. 

    Thanks for any advice
    Yes, the empty property is subject to the surcharge.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.