debt advice

newbie here and computer newbie to so pls forgive!
upto about 7 yrs ago id ran up debts to the tune of about £13,000 big ones.
All of these were passed to debt collectors and a few went to the courts.The one that went to the courts have all been payed.But several are still with debt collection agencies,I have been paying these a agreed sum of money to each of these for last 7 yrs.Managing to pays several off.Six months ago i was made redundant and my partner went on maternity leave (just gone back part time 2 days a week)Anyhow I carried on payment up until 3 weeks ago i then cancelled the direct debits and wrote to them explaining why but they wrote back say i needed to maintain the payments or face the courts.
I owe £2200 to bls £700 to jb debts and £1100 to bank of scotland. Need advice sorry so long winded any help appreciated john

Comments

• matrix999
    matrix999 Posts: 1,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi John and welcome to MSE

Might be an idea for you to contact the CCCS - Consumer Credit Counselling Service http://www.cccs.co.uk they will interview you over the phone and negotiate with the creditors on your behalf.

There very knowledgable and have a wealth of experience. Also note that there a charity and will ask for no payments for helping you.

Good Luck
  • jen_jen_2
    jen_jen_2 Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    do you still have any CCJs, with debts of less than 5K you can ask for an administration order which means you make one payment to the court and they pay the creditors. you can also ask for a composition order (a reduction in the debt) if it will take an unreasonable amount of time to clear the balance

the courts will consider your new budget and circumstances and very likely agree an affordable payment, if you dont have the CCJ when you get one apply for the admin order or phone CCCS/cab and they will help you make arrangements with creditors.

the "face the court" is often a threat and if it does happen they are generally more understanding and accept lower offers than creditors/collectors will, in your case you can use it to help you sort the situation out more quickly and perhaps get the debt reduced.
    Ready to Go Go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport