We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Round up or down
Bobziz
Posts: 753
Forumite
in Cutting tax
Hopefully an easy one to answer - I recently submitted an estate return from which I calculated tax due at £13,266.60. I paid £13,266 thinking that I should round down. Looking at the account statement online, HMRC are saying tax due is £13,266.60. The tax is not actually due until the end of January next year. Question- will I be required to pay the 60p ?
Thank you
Thank you
0
Comments
-
If HMRC allowed taxpayers to round down their payments to the nearest £1 and then just wrote off the balance they would be foregoing a lot of money each year for no good reason. Assuming 37 million taxpayers that is perhaps £18 million a year.1
-
Taxable amounts are truncated to whole pounds but the tax due is to the penny.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
3 -
Thanks both, I think I had assumed that the round down income received rule also applied to tax due. I'll pay the 60p then.0
-
My husband submitted his dad’s tax and it was pence out. They sent a letter to say they were not going to pursue the pence but I thought the letter would have cost significantly more than the pence, even just in postage.1
-
Very true! But probably automated and designed to say that the amount is still owed even if they will not chase for it.Green_hopeful said:My husband submitted his dad’s tax and it was pence out. They sent a letter to say they were not going to pursue the pence but I thought the letter would have cost significantly more than the pence, even just in postage.0 -
If I told them the interest on a savings account was £1234.345p is it correct that on the tax bill they've written it as £1234 and knocked off the 34 and a half pence (the interest is split between a married couple)0
-
Yes see @molerat's answer up above.sherbie28 said:If I told them the interest on a savings account was £1234.345p is it correct that on the tax bill they've written it as £1234 and knocked off the 34 and a half pence (the interest is split between a married couple)
Just don't try rounding the tax down.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
