We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Are biodegradable sponges also compostable?
anon_ymous
Posts: 2,041
Forumite
I've seen these and they're fairly cheap
https://amzn.eu/d/fVBBuDo
However they're not explicitly marked as being compostable. I would have however thought that given they're made from plant based materials, that they'd also compostable?
My scraps are composted through a commercial composter too which should in theory make it easier? Ie: via this
https://youtu.be/rRCSjjtIqos
Or would these simply be biodegradable instead of compostable?
This one says that they're compostable but it seems to be the exact same materials as this for example
https://amzn.eu/d/aELgvLE
Which says they're compostable tbf too
https://amzn.eu/d/fVBBuDo
However they're not explicitly marked as being compostable. I would have however thought that given they're made from plant based materials, that they'd also compostable?
My scraps are composted through a commercial composter too which should in theory make it easier? Ie: via this
https://youtu.be/rRCSjjtIqosOr would these simply be biodegradable instead of compostable?
This one says that they're compostable but it seems to be the exact same materials as this for example
https://amzn.eu/d/aELgvLE
Which says they're compostable tbf too
0
Comments
-
No familiarity with that particular product but yes, I would expect both cellulose sponges and sisal to be compostable.N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.1 -
I guess it depends on how quickly you require them to break down. I used to sometimes put compostable bags of food waste in our home compost bin if there was no meat, bones etc in them, but I found that they hadn't fully broken down by the time the compost was ready so it looked unsightly in the garden. But I'm sure they will break down after a while. If it's going somewhere commercial for composting I'm sure they will have some system for dealing with this.Solar install June 2022, Bath
4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 1x Seplos V3 battery 15.2 kWh, 1x Seplos V4 battery 16.1 kWh.
SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels. Hyundai Kona 64 kWh EV.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
