We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Topping up SP
squashtraveller
Posts: 16 Forumite
This may have been asked - sorry. I am planning to take my work pension in the coming months and will no longer pay NI. I will be short of a full SP by ~3 years. Can I 'top-up' in the coming years so that I reach my max SP when available? Thanks
0
Comments
-
If those 3 years are tax years before the tax year you reach State Pension age then yes.squashtraveller said:This may have been asked - sorry. I am planning to take my work pension in the coming months and will no longer pay NI. I will be short of a full SP by ~3 years. Can I 'top-up' in the coming years so that I reach my max SP when available? Thanks
But paying NI isn't what entitles you to a qualifying year in the first place.
Have you actually checked your State Pension forecast and fully understood what it means?
A lot of people under transitional rules, which you are, still think having 35 years is key. When it isn't.1 -
squashtraveller said:This may have been asked - sorry. I am planning to take my work pension in the coming months and will no longer pay NI. I will be short of a full SP by ~3 years. Can I 'top-up' in the coming years so that I reach my max SP when available? ThanksYes you can, class 3 contributions.Do you have gaps in your record ? The vast majority who have a full record, even with a long contracted out history, should not need to top up after this year.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
1 -
Thank you - I think I have understood my SP forecast. I based my Q on what my statement said I would be entitled to should I continue to pay NI until my SP date. I will review and set aside funds to pay. Thanks again for the advice.Dazed_and_C0nfused said:
If those 3 years are tax years before the tax year you reach State Pension age then yes.squashtraveller said:This may have been asked - sorry. I am planning to take my work pension in the coming months and will no longer pay NI. I will be short of a full SP by ~3 years. Can I 'top-up' in the coming years so that I reach my max SP when available? Thanks
But paying NI isn't what entitles you to a qualifying year in the first place.
Have you actually checked your State Pension forecast and fully understood what it means?
A lot of people under transitional rules, which you are, still think having 35 years is key. When it isn't.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
