pop-up blocker-cn any1 find be a freebie??

Options
:-[
Hi

I have google pop-up blocker, firewall, spysweeper and window washer but am still get constant pop-ups for gaming sites, mobile ringtones and most disturbingly sex sites.
I live with my 2 daughters under 5 so I know no-one is using the computer to access these type of sites and thus setting up a link.

This is getting more and more upsetting as my 4 year old was on CBeebies when a window for 'F**k S**ts' came up.

I recently moved onto Broadband and someone told me that these types of sites are throwing these windows out at an alarming rate indiscriminatly knowing that the speed of broadband allows them to get through??? This seems ridiculous to me.

Please can someone advise me what I need and can I please get it free? But I suppose I would be happy to pay for it if it kept my daughters safe.

Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Worried mum

Comments

• scheming_gypsy
    Options
    silly question but worth asking just in case...

Have you made sure that the blocker on the google toolbar is actually activated? i remember when i got the toolbar i was still getting popups till i noticed i hadn't got it active..

or it may have accidentally been clicked and deactivated.
  • ccml
    ccml Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Google pop-up blocker working, 350 blocked to date???
    Baffled...
    C
  • Smudger_4
    Options
    Try https://www.panicware.com/popupcenter its free and works well, a small control box comes up when its blocked something and asks if you want to open it, if not ignore the warning and it sinks away.
  • greatkingbowser
    Options
    http://www.mozilla.org/firefox

Safer and faster than Internet Explorer. Been using it for months and never looked back. Once you're used to tabbed browsing, excellent pop-blocker and the plethora of useful plug ins it's very hard to.

Highly recommended to anyone.
  • r_holmes22
    Options
    I use STOPzilla. It is available for a month's free trial, then cost me roughly £12 ($20 at the time; don't know what the exchange rate is like now) to activate it for a year. It's been some months since I installed it now and I can't recall what it's like being pestered with popups. It doesn't seem to affect the functionality of my computer (i.e. preventing me accessing windows I want to access), and it is very discreet (i.e. doesn't seem to affect Windows load time any and doesn't appear to hog system resources). I was initially after a freebie too, but after tryiing this I'm sticking with it.

I'm afraid I never found a freebie that was much use.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    I have to agree about Mozilla much better than using IE and the Google bar.

Just a thought, from a very untechie person compared to the legends on this board, but which Firewall are you using? Usually people on here don't recommend the XP one but to download ZoneAlarm.

And maybe Adaware would be useful.
  • Claddie
    Claddie Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Its maybe spyware thats givin you the problem

Try something like pest patrol
  • monomer
    monomer Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope people realise that there are two threads on this topic? ;D

The other thread is here.
    "...And I gave that man directions, even though I didn't know the way, 'cause that's the kind of guy I am this week." -- Homer Simpson
  • cjb02
    cjb02 Posts: 608 Forumite
    Options
    I use the one from panicware.com. Which I find to very good and I am happy with.

CJB :D
  • smileysaint
    Options
    Go here and read thoroughly.

http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

Very good site and pretty easy to follow. You will probably find that you have a memory resident app that is opening these windows not IE hence the Google Bar cannot block it.

If you look on there it actually includes a registry hack which when installed will block IE from going to all sites in the list. Good prevention but needs updating regularly, much better than a firewall IMHO for blocking sites because you block them at source. If I can find the link Ill post it here.

Ok the software is called IE-SpyAd
    and there is a link on the above page with an explanation.
    Val :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport