Taking the first steps -our

Options
Hi

Well now we're doing something positive about our situation I wanted to keep track of whats happened so far.

Thank you for all your help when i posted a few weeks ago about our debt problems. Since them I have contacted CCCS who were fantastic. The relief I felt after speaking to one of the counsellors was immense and since putting everything into action we feel like we've got a life back again.

We changed our bank accounts and now have control of our money, I have 'pots' for our expenses for the month and although we are only making token payments at the moment towards the debts (as theres nothing else left) at least we have money for all we need. We're going to be downgrading my car in Jan so that the money allocated for the finance can go towards a DMP plus I'm going to be properly looking for another part-time job that i can fit in around dh's work.

Have only just sent out all the letters to the creditors as wanted to get the bank accounts all changed over first as we're with HSBC & A&L who we owe money to. Only made one debt payment this month, loan to HSBC, which we couldn't stop from going out and have now found out that we can't stop the standing order for the jan payment going out tomorrow! Woman basically said they'll prob continue taking it for another 6 months (each time bringing us further over our od limit plus charges no doubt) then it'll get passed to Metropolitiancollection agency. Apparently nobody in the whole of hsbc has the authority to stop it, :confused: way of making sure they get their money i guess. Spoke to CCCS and they said HSBC are notorious for this apparently. Oh well, i suppose the loan'll get paid but the od debt will increase.

Waiting for the responses from the creditors now, what generally happens, how long do they take? What are peoples experiences, good or bad?

Thanks in advance

IP

Comments

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done for taking the first steps to 'dealing with your debt'.
    I am pleased to see that you are working with CCCS and I hope it all goes well for you.
    The 'response' from HSBC is, unfortunately 'par for the course'.
    You will get a 'mixed response' from other creditors - some will agree, others will continue to 'harrass' for preferential treatment and some will pass the 'debts' to the murky world of 'debt collection'.
    You just need to stick with it and make sure that you involve CCCS at every stage.
    Good Luck.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • bank_of_slate
    bank_of_slate Posts: 12,922 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Huge applause iggle!!!!!!!!!
    There will be ups and downs but it must feel amazing to know you're starting 2008 in the right direction
    Keep posting on the site
    ...Linda xx:beer:
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • scooterwife
    Options
    well done!:j
    it does feel like a weight lifted when you feel like you are starting to take control doesn't it.
    We've been on a DMP with CCCS for a whole year now, - seven creditors, only one of them being a pain in the you know where.
    everyone else has accepted payments.
    we know it's going to be a long haul, but it feels so good to be able to answer the phone without worrying anymore, and just having enough money to get by on, instead of robbing peter to pay paul all the time.I'm sure you'll feel the same way.
    Good Luck:D
  • jacnorm
    jacnorm Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    Well done. We have been on a DMP for 11months now and it does have the odd blip now and again but, we are in control. The creditors are not getting as much as they would like but, they are getting something We changed our phone numbers and only deal with everything by post as reccomended by others on here and it has been much less stressfull.
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    Well done,

Keep up with it. There will seem like days when you are treading water, other days when you will feel like you are progressing. If you are feeling down, everyone is here to offer support.

Good luck and Happy 2008!!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • IgglePiggle03
    Options
    Thought HSBC would be pains but at least we're on the right track now, we were discussing changing the phone number for this very reason so will see how things go. Must say this site has been an absolute godsend. I haven't posted much before, too scared to admit everything i guess but have 'lurked' a lot, reading up on everything & what others have been through really helps.

We know the debts haven't gone away but actually having allocated money to pay for shopping, road tax, diesel is wonderful. I have spent so much of the past couple of years robbing peter to pay paul and to be honest i really don't know how we managed it. Am definately looking forward to a happy & much more 'in control' 2008!

Slightly early, but Happy new year 2008 to everyone. Off to have a few :beer: now i think!
  • Need_To_Sort_It
    Options
    Good for you, there's a lot of newbies finding help here, I am one too. And the best bit is we have been made so welcome and found kindness, not condemnation like you do sometimes when telling folk about your debt.

2008 is going to be our year!
  • doodledo_2
    doodledo_2 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Options
    Well done for getting things started and on the right track.

2008 is looking good for you.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW No: 712

03/09/09 - DEBT FREE AT LAST :D
    Racing Hypno to Save - £10/£5000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business